Villainy - new label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riromero

Reaction score
Comments?

Graphic too big? Lose the border? Not colorful enough?

Villainy_v2.jpg

Hmmmm - I'd say you got a 9.5 out of a possible 10 - and that's only cause the Russian judge threw in an 8.

Seriously, I wish I had that kind of talent.

Very slick.
Dont kid yourself... A great deal of the Graphic Designers out there do just what you did and call it theirs. I had a prof. in college (for graphic design) that used to say that the real skill was in bringing the elements together in a harmony that speaks to people.

Well done.

jason

Very, very nice. Color base is cohesive and the font is spot on...
Suggestion, lower the abv and the fl. oz. down to the first little tribal out cropping just above the "V" and "Y". They seem to fight for attention aesthetically around the "villian" this would allow him to be the predominate form. Just sayin'

v

Updated version:
- Moved ABV/fl oz down near the title
- Added a shadow to the figure

Better or Worse. Lose the shadow but keep the alternate text location?

Villainy_v3.jpg

Very, very nice. Color base is cohesive and the font is spot on...
Suggestion, lower the abv and the fl. oz. down to the first little tribal out cropping just above the "V" and "Y". They seem to fight for attention aesthetically around the "villian" this would allow him to be the predominate form. Just sayin'

v

Perfect,....looked freaking awesome before, but now the "villain" is the main draw.....
I'm about to upload some quick ones I did before the Holidays, let me know what you think....

V

I prefer the first draft. I didn't mind the location of the ABV/fl oz and I've never been a huge fan of drop shadows.

O.k. I tried to post some pictures, but they looked HORRIBLE....how do you post an image?
Better, what did you "save as" to get the quality so well? I am working with AI but I am not a designer...please help.

v

First draft had better balance.. The white space isnt adding anything or emphasizing anything. If the Villain "popped" more it could carry the space.

But that is also looking at it flat. On a bottle it may need that space.

This is splitting hairs of course, but if this were a critique before I showed this to a client, I would go back to the first one or activate that space a bit.

Again... its great. NO worries either way. You will impress people when you show it to them.

jason

Ha ha ha ha ha... I have no idea what you just said.

First draft had better balance.. The white space isnt adding anything or emphasizing anything. If the Villain "popped" more it could carry the space.

But that is also looking at it flat. On a bottle it may need that space.

This is splitting hairs of course, but if this were a critique before I showed this to a client, I would go back to the first one or activate that space a bit.

Again... its great. NO worries either way. You will impress people when you show it to them.

jason

Here's what I do...

1) Go to "My Profile" at the top right
2) Then choose "Photos" on the left, just under the username
3) Then click "Upload Photos" on the right of the bar just under the big ad.

After you select the file and upload, you'll be presented with link text at the bottom. I copy the "BB code" and paste it into the body of the post to have it show up.

O.k. I tried to post some pictures, but they looked HORRIBLE....how do you post an image?
Better, what did you "save as" to get the quality so well? I am working with AI but I am not a designer...please help.

v

Thanks, appreciated...
I didn't mean to get a formal critique going, I was just giving some input. I reserve my critiques for clients and students....sorry. It absolutely looks great....

V

I have to go along with the first draft crowd. something about the ABV and volume in the second just feels... off... to me. (as best as i can put it) Maybe it feels like the text is a bit crowded to me or something. Really like the first draft, not just picking the lesser of two evils, for sure. If you brew as well as you design or "assemble" labels, you certainly won't be lonely. Unless of course all your friends are in the bud light crowd. :)

Cheers :mug:

Very slick.
Dont kid yourself... A great deal of the Graphic Designers out there do just what you did and call it theirs. I had a prof. in college (for graphic design) that used to say that the real skill was in bringing the elements together in a harmony that speaks to people.

At the very least please email the artist.

I'm a FT graphic designer and college professor teaching intro digital art classes part time - this is a very touchy subject for us and sometimes very hurtful when our hard work is devalued from the public.

Hopefully, your instructor wasn't referring to stealing images, but was instead referring to finished designs, pieced together from legit sources using natural creativity. Nearly word for word, I say things very similar to what your instructor told you, but I wasn't referring to found artwork from someone else. In the classroom, images can be used and found online for educational purposes. Out of the classroom, using those images in most circumstances is illegal. There are images out there that exist solely for your use, they are free and you can download them and use them wherever you want. These are images/clipart/photos that graphic designers use as a resource and we know they are free for us to use in the real world. I have plenty of sites bookmarked and don't mind sharing my resources. Stock photo and artwork sites cost $3-$5 an image if you choose to go that route.

The other side of it - and please be ethical - is taking someone else's artwork that they created/slaved over. The "villian" image you have there is beautifully made. And your label is beautiful as well. The least you can do is show the label to the artists, request their blessing, give a very small "artwork provided by" shout out on the label or just give them known credit and a "thank you".

As a designer, I would be happy to find you a licensed free version so you can avoid taking imagery from this artist's portfolio if they don't approve your use. The artist holds a master's degree and I assume he makes his living by selling files and prints. DeviantArt is a medium most of us use to show potential clients our work, get feedback from other artists, network, etc. What some borderline unethical designers do is they will take an image from someone else, and then edit it so much that it is virtually indistinguishable from the original.

On behalf of all designers out there please be ethical.

Back