Elderberry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marms

Reaction score
So my dad loves elderberries and always talks about an elderberry beer so I was thinking about making a batch for his birthday. Has anyone tried making an elderberry beer, not a stout though? I was thinking i could try something like a blueberry beer. I read that the skins of elderberries aren't good to have in the beer so would you suggest juicing them or using elder flowers?

Thanks

I haven't, but Basic Brewing Video did an episode on the berries and the flowers awhile back:

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to throw another option at you. There is a liqueur called St. Germain that is made of elderberry flowers. The stuff tastes a lot like grapefruit if you ask me. You may be able to brew a low alc. beer and then add the liqueur to it at bottling to add the flavor and some more alcohol. This is probably not what your after and I imagine would leave the beer with a thin mouthfeel but it is an option if all esle fails.

If you make it, you've got to make some labels with a screen shot from Monty Python's the Holy Grail where John Clease is telling Arthor that his "father smells of elderberrys".

Back