wort taking forever to cool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
I have had my wort in an ice bath for 60 min and it is still at 100 what should I do? how long can I cool before I worry?

And after you stir both (with seperate spoons) and when the ice has melted consider swapping it out for more.
ANd down the line get an immersion chiller, I use mine both on my kitchen sink when I brew stovetop and outdoors when I brew there.

You will be amazed how fast it works.

Even if you don't do salt, you should have water in the ice bath. Not sure if you have just ice in there, but ice only makes partial contact with the pot.

Thanks alot for all the advice, the stiring and salt brought it down very quickly. Thanks alot.

+1 on the immersion chiller. As soon as the outlet hose starts to cool off I swirl the wort around with the chiller. Cools down remarkably quick. Just did a brew outside today. It's -5 here today (23f) and I cooled down to 68 in 8 minutes!!

Pour two gallons of cold tap water into your primary and then dump the 100 degree wort on top of it. It will mix to around 75-80 degrees. Then let it sit overnight and pitch the yeast tomorrow.

Back