Corona Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz_Armstrong

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked and answered here SCORES of times, but the sheer volume of posts and search responses is too much to comb through.

I'm looking to make a Corona clone without lagering. I'm just not experienced enough yet. I love Corona, it's one of my favorite commerial lagers. If I could make something close to that at home I could become my own hero.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I imagine it would be pretty difficult. I'd suggest starting with Bier Munchers Cream Of Three Crops. You would also want to use a clean yeast, and ferment on the lowest recommend temperature range. Then, of course you would have to skunk the beer. Thats the easy part though.

Here's the link Edcculus was talking about:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

Sterling Gold and Centennial Blonde are two more of BierMuncher's recipes that -- While NOT a Corona clone by any means -- are at least along the lines of what you're looking for. That is to say, pale, fairly crisp, and not too hoppy. Any of the three recipes are pretty inexpensive to brew. :)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/sterling-gold-3-5-ag-light-zesty-57183/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

Also, Austin Homebrew sells a Mexican Pilsner kit ( http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=300 ) that, if you purchased Ale yeast instead of Lager yeast, might fit the bill of the brew you're looking for. If you choose to go this route, I would personally use WLP001 / WL1056 / Safale US-05 for your yeast. As Edcculus mentioned, keep your temps low, you'll want to ferment around 64-67*F if possible.

Also, Austin Homebrew sells a Mexican Pilsner kit ( Austin Homebrew Supply ) that, if you purchased Ale yeast instead of Lager yeast, might fit the bill of the brew you're looking for. If you choose to go this route, I would personally use WLP001 / WL1056 / Safale US-05 for your yeast. As Edcculus mentioned, keep your temps low, you'll want to ferment around 64-67*F if possible.

You know... I've heard that before. An ale yeast can be used instead of a lager yeast. So that really can work? If so, what is the difference that takes place with the higher/lower fermenting temps if it's an ale yeast in a lager recipe?

(and thanks for the tips!)

Need to import some Mexican tap water to brew it with too. It wouldn't be Corona if it didn't give you buttpee the next morning.

Any yeast will ferment any beer. If there is sugar available, the yeast don't care.

Lager yeast like lower temperatures and are bottom fermenting. They tend to produce a very clean, crisp tasting beer. Ale yeast on the other hand is top fermenting and likes higher temps. They tend to ferment faster and produce more fruity tasting esthers. If you are making a pilsner using ale yeast, you will end up with a beer slightly short of the classic clean crisp lager taste. By fermenting an ale at the lower range of its temperature, you are eliminating the chance it will produce esters.

I hear you, nay-sayers... lol

Sometimes when I'm driving through the country and I smell the stench of a freshly roadkilled skunk I wonder "who opened the Corona?"

Unfortunately, that stinky Mexican well-water has me hooked for some reason. When you squeeze a slice of lime in it and close your eyes, it almost tastes like beer!

Midwest Supply's 20 min boil extract kit uses an ale yeast. I have it in my primary now and will be soon transferring it to my secondary (no real reason to am doing it just because). hopefully turns out well. my first cerveza was just ok. my wife likes landshark and I do like corona also, so will try several versions (AHS is next for this style sometime in the winter when it can be lagered) then I'll decide what is going to be in the fridge for the summer.

Back