Anyone use the dishwasher sanitation method??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use one step and then stick them in their. I have only two batches done but have not run into a problem with it.

If your dishwasher has a sanitizing cycle, it will work. Avoid using Jet Dry or other rinse agents. I find that it takes too long for my dishwasher's sanitizing cycle to complete, so I just do it the "hard way" with some Star San.

You can open the dishwasher door and put your bottles on it during filling. That way any mess washes easily away.

Yuri_Rage said:
If your dishwasher has a sanitizing cycle, it will work. Avoid using Jet Dry or other rinse agents. I find that it takes too long for my dishwasher's sanitizing cycle to complete, so I just do it the "hard way" with some Star San.

You can open the dishwasher door and put your bottles on it during filling. That way any mess washes easily away.

Whats wrong with Jet Dry. ( i put my bottles on the rinse and dry cycle and it does have jet dry)..

I've always sanitized my bottles in the dishwasher on the pots and pans setting and heat dry. I don't use any soap. I make sure my bottles are clean before putting them in. Works great.

I wash my all bottles in the dishwasher, atleast 2 hrs before I bottle. So far I haven't had a bad batch or even had an uncarbonated bottle. Course, I put my dishawasher on sanitize and heated dry. All I can say is, it works for me.

I do clean my bottles before, in a a mix of oxy clean. Then place them in the dishwasher 2 hours before bottling.

FNnewguy said:
By the way, DO NOT USE A RINSE AID! This will affect your beer. No head retention, it will taste flat.

Yikes thats too late. Can I fix it before I bottle?

I wash my glasses with Jet Dry and they retain head fine.

I have used it, this last time, I had some bottles given to me that I had to scrub some **** out of the bottom on a couple so after scrubbing, sanatizer I then put them in the oven at 350 for a half an hour followed by the dishwasher on heat dry.

I sanitize my bottles and all utinsels in the dish washer. Using any detergents will leave a film on your bottles and can effect head retention. The film will also create a surface tension on the bottles...don't recall what the problem with that is. Same with washing your beer glasses. Everything is cleaned prior to going into the washer. I us ethe washer only to sanitize.
I've used the same bottles for 15 years and very rarely has soap touched them.

Yuri_Rage said:
I find that it takes too long for my dishwasher's sanitizing cycle to complete, so I just do it the "hard way" with some Star San.

OMG yes....I have used the dishwasher a couple of times and while it works, it just takes quite a while. I can sanitize my bottles by hand in the sink so much faster and when it comes down to it, I don't mind doing the work.

my bro-in-law uses it on a hot rinse cycle. his water temps are up over 140 degrees for an extended period. has worked great for about the last 7-8 batches with no trouble. he does not use ANY chemical agents nor soap. just sanitize by water temp.

I used it and have JEt DRy in my dishwasher.

Should I throw the bottles away or can I save them??

some one please help!:(

RichBrewer said:
I've always sanitized my bottles in the dishwasher on the pots and pans setting and heat dry. I don't use any soap. I make sure my bottles are clean before putting them in. Works great.

Ditto, I also have a High Temp Wash button and use that. Just be sure to rinse your bottles two or three right after you pour, that way you'll never have to scrub a bottle. Aside from taking labels off any commercial bottles.

BrooZer said:
I used it and have JEt DRy in my dishwasher.

Should I throw the bottles away or can I save them??

some one please help!:(

Just rinse your bottles out with water and run them through the dishwasher again, without the Jet Dry or detergent. Should be fine.

Here's what I do:

1. when I empty a bottle I put in in the d/w with the rest of the dirty dishes.

2. when I'm ready to bottle I run the d/w once empty with no soap or rinse agent.

3. I put the bottles in and run the d/w on hi-temp wash and sanitize cycle.

4. lastly I still dip them in Star San and then put them back in the clean d/w rack until I'm ready to fill them.

jdoiv said:
Just rinse your bottles out with water and run them through the dishwasher again, without the Jet Dry or detergent. Should be fine.

If i use a bottle/carboy jet washer will that take care of it.

RichBrewer said:
that's what i do, too. excellent way to sanitize. takes a little while, tho

I only rinse out the bottles when done and then put all the bottles I will need for a whole batch into the DW the night before and run the pots/pans cycle with heated drying. Another good technique with the DW is to use the open door as a filling platform and put the bottling bucket above it on the counter. Fill away and you don't have to worry about spills or overflow, it just goes down the drain in the DW.;)

You guys are pretty anal!, I spray out my bottles, Then I put them in the dishwasher. I DO use soap, but only 1/2 dose. I let them run through the pot/pans cycle and then I let them go the full drying cycle.
The bottles come out nice and warm, and this has worked like a champ for me.

I am sure my technique is a bit of overkill. I soak my bottles in a light bleach solution (gasp!) for a half and hour, rinse out with a bottle washer, then place in DW for a cycle without any detergent. Has worked great for me. At least with this method, I inspect the bottles a couple of times to insure theres no gunk in them. The dishwasher makes a great drying rack and they are easy to grab while bottling.

yeah, everyone is going pretty crazy here. i used to sanitize every bottle, fill them with iodopher and let them sit for two minutes. that was really stupid and time consuming.

you don't need soap, just heat. as long as all the gunk is out of your bottles. i personally rinse mine immediately after drinking them or after parties, then leave them on the counter, rinse them out a few days later and put them away. between that and using the dishwasher, i've never had a problem.

If you have used Jet Dry, dont flip out. It's not going to ruin your beer, it just might not foam up that much when you pour it. Do NOT throw out your bottles. After you use them one time and clean them again, the Jet Dry will be gone anyway.

Back