Do you dryhop non-IPAs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you dry-hop other beers?

• Yes, nomnomnom hops

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
sure - it's not unusual at all to dry hop with goldings in all of the english styles, minus porters and stouts. I'm sure others will post more examples.

Sometimes. Dry hopping can be a bit overwhelming in a lot of styles, though, so more often than not, I'll lean on a flameout addition and let that steep for 20 to 30 minutes before chilling

I'll certainly dry hop some PA's, Redhook style ESB and any beer that seems overly bitter to me.

I'll certainly dry hop some PA's, Redhook style ESB and any beer that seems overly bitter to me.

Just curious... I've never found Red Hook ESB to be hoppy at all (actually quite malty for the style) and just assumed that they don't dry hop it at all. Anyone know for sure?

I've never dry hopped my ESBs.

To answer the poll question, yes, I dry hop APAs.

It certainly depends on the style I'm going for, but yes, I've been known to dry hop in beers other than IPAs.

Rouge's Dry Hopped Red is a good example of a commercial beer where they dry hop even though the style doesn't necessarily call for it.

I answered "no" because I just dry-hopped my first batch a few days ago and it's an IPA. So I've never dry-hopped something that wasn't an IPA :)

I've never dry-hopped before, but it seems like something I'll be doing more often than not in the future.

I made a Belgian golden strong ale that I dry hopped with goldings for 4 days. It really came out spectacular. Also my own recipe of APA.

Joe

I dry hop a number of different beers of different styles. I'm making a double ESB in a few weeks and I'll dry hop with Phoenix hops.

sure - it's not unusual at all to dry hop with goldings in all of the english styles, minus porters and stouts. I'm sure others will post more examples.

I dry hop my porter with Goldings.

Ray

Three Floyds' Gumballhead is the perfect example of a non-ipa that has been hopped and dry hopped to high hell. Its an American wheat that has 5 seperate amarillo additions, and a 1.5oz dry hop. God god damn, its a tasty beverage.

I'm looking to dry hop an upcoming imperial stout. I know you've all had the first of the Sierra 30th Anniversary ales that came out. That stout had an amazing hop aroma to it. I'd love to make something like that.

I dry hop a couple of Pale Ales.

Just curious... I've never found Red Hook ESB to be hoppy at all (actually quite malty for the style) and just assumed that they don't dry hop it at all. Anyone know for sure?

I've never dry hopped my ESBs.

To answer the poll question, yes, I dry hop APAs.

Dry hopping ESB is not exactly to style. Plus Red Hook ESB is not really very bitter.

Dude, you actually had to ask this crowd. I'm surprised to poll isn't 100%.:rockin:

I realize not everybody is a hophead. However, if you wanted to collect the highest concentration of hopheads in one group, using HBT would be the fastest way to do it.:mug:

didn't read the thread, only the title but short answer ........

yes, pretty much every IPA, APA, American wheat I have made has some level of dry hopping. I am not sure why you wouldn't dry hop these beers??? especially if you have hops to spare .....

For me it's rare that I don't dry hop. I have a Saison w/ 2oz's of whole leaf Amarillo dry hopping right now. Some examples include American Brown, ESB, Pale Ale, Barleywine, Hefe, and even some Porters.

call me crazy but i don't even dry hop my IPA / DIPA / IIPA beers.... I just go for massive late hop additions and rapid chill.

call me crazy but i don't even dry hop my IPA / DIPA / IIPA beers.... I just go for massive late hop additions and rapid chill.

your crazy.

but on a serious note, wouldn't fermentation drive off a lot of the aroma? Not saying flame out hops are useless, but I have always thought they were for a different purpose than dry hops.

OP: I have only dry hopped IPAs, but I am considering dryhopping an american wheat with some cascades.

Three Floyds' Gumballhead is the perfect example of a non-ipa that has been hopped and dry hopped to high hell. Its an American wheat that has 5 seperate amarillo additions, and a 1.5oz dry hop. God god damn, its a tasty beverage.

I hear Oberon is dry-hopped with Saaz, too.

Back