too hoppy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babbott

Reaction score
Ive gone with recipes that call for 6 lbs. of grains and 3 oz of hops for a 5 Gal batch. Would the low amount of grains allow the hops to be overpowering?

Yes.

If there isn't a sufficient malty backbone in the recipe the hops will come through more. Whether they're overpowering or not depends on how much you like hops. Keep in mind that hops give you several different things: bitterness, flavor and aroma. Which one of these is too overpowering for you? Also, what size batch are you making and what is your efficiency, these are all factors. I'm pretty sure if it's too hoppy most members on here would take it off you free of charge.

I think you'd really need to post the recipe to get an informed answer. If the three ounces are of hops with low alpha acids, and are added across the boil, then the beer could be fine. Alternatively, if the three ounces are super-high alpha acid hops all boiled for 90 minutes, then it could be fiercely bitter. I don't think 3 oz is a silly amount of hops for a 5 gallon batch - though I'm a bit surprised to see only 6 pounds of grain.

This will help you determine how the brew will be balanced based on the O.G. and the IBU's:

hopsgraph.jpg

You also need to understand your utilization percents. What AA% are the hops? At what times are you adding them?

I found it in SuperiorBrew's Gallery. You can insert it into Microsoft Excel and mark the region of Gravity/Bitterness for individual recipes.

Thanks for the input. The local HB guy on my first batch suggested 6 lbs. I'll start the next with at least 10lbs. By the way the hops were 2 oz cascades 6.3% AA, one at the beginning and one at the end and whole leaf Kent Golding's whole leaf 5.0% AA in the middle. I had 1.032 original gravity before and 1.009 after a 90 min biol. As for getting rid of it I'm doing fine on my own and enjoying it.

Too much hops, I have never heard of such a thing. j/k. Sounds like too much for that batch unless you used some to bitter at 60, some at 15 and some at 5 or to dry-hop.

Back