full boil electric grill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
I was walking through the store tonight picking up briquettes for barbecuing this weekend and came across a 1600 Watt electric grill. I couldn't find the exact one, but it was a lot like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Aussie-Electric-Grill-Hunter-Green/dp/B0007XXNOA/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1278035009&sr=8-18

but only it was $35 and the thermostat rating was up to 450F. If it works, I can't imagine controlling the temp for mashing would be worse than my stove.

What are the odds are that I'll be able to get a full boil going on it. Or is it going to be one of those, it will boil but I have to wait for an hour to get it there.

I've been thinking about going the propane turkey fryer route. But $35 is pretty cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Save your money and do it right. A sturdy turkey fryer will go a long way...if you're lucky, it'll come with a ss pot!

1600 watts could boil about 3 gallons of water in a reasonable amount of time. A turkey fryer could do 14.

I calculated the theoretical 100% efficiency. It would take 8 gallons from mashout at 170F to boiling (at my elevation 200F) in 22 minutes.

How that compare to a fryer?

2000w submerged in water can just barely boil 5 gallons. Your 1600w outside the pot will be worse off in 2 ways.

55000 BTU Turkey fryer in the real world takes about 35min to do 12gal from 160 to my boiling (206F).

Back