Anyone here make a kegbot / beer donation station?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipatch

Reaction score
Hello again, was wondering if anyone on this forum is participating over at kegbot.org I have been following the project for a couple of years, and am currently working to try and build one. I still need a lot of parts but I am getting close.

I posted a similar question on a local homebrew forum, but didn't get any responses, so I was wondering if anyone here is interested in a project of this nature.

Currently, I am working on interfacing an old iPhone 3GS to an Arduino, which I have successfully got serial read working from the iPhone, i.e. the Arduino writes a serial message and the iPhone reads it.

I am also working on interfacing a parallax RFID reader that I purchased from Radio Shack for like $20 bucks USD to the iOS project I am working on. The code for the project is open source and can be found here

If you already have a jailbroken iDevice you can test the project by downloading a binary of it by adding this source to your cydia repository: chrisrjones.com/repo

Basically, as I stated before I am developing an iOS app that will hopefully interface with the Kegbot firmware called Kegboard, and an RFID reader. I have been working on the project for o h about six months off an on, more off as of late, but if this is something your interested in, and you think you could contribute, I would greatfully enjoy working with someone as I try to finish this project up.

Some things I have already completed,
  1. develop iOS app
  2. app supports multiple users
  3. serial console
  4. add credits to user accounts with root account
  5. securly store user info
  6. trade credits amongst users

Some things I need to complete,
  1. associate an RFID badge to a user account
  2. create a while loop or something of that nature to look for the RFID badge when the program is launched
  3. read data from the swiss flow sensros
  4. interface RFID code into the Kegboard FW

The finished product would look something like this,

kegerator-iphone01.JPG

This seems pretty awesome.

I don't know if this is your plan or if you have thought of this, but I wonder if the access cards could be set up using just someones existing ID card. I and most people I know have work IDs for getting in doors and stuff. I'm not sure of the technology used in those, or if it is uniform across companies, but it would be pretty cool to be able to use a card you would already have on you, rather than having to use a separate one.

Yeah RFID cards are specific to the device you use them with, so your work badge probably won't work with something like a Parallax RFID reader, as my work badge does not. It's a good thought though.

So I replaced the busted mini fridge with a pretty nice Danby kegerator. The Danby had a hole pre dilled for running wires (yay), so I got everything wired up and labeled, now I just need to work on the Kegboard FW by adapting it to the KegCop project or creating a custom Arduino sketch for the KegCop software that runs on the iPhone.

I also got the RFID association to the user account working, so the RFID reader will more than likely make it in the final release. You can futher read about this project here -> https://kegbot.org/kegbb/topic/373/

If you know anything about Arduino's or iOS programming give me a shout.

I also thought about starting a kickstarter for the project, but apparently you can't offer beer as a reward :-(

I made some progress on my two days off, so I thought I would share what I have been up too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a 3 tap kegerator and am very interested. I'll probably stay away from the solenoids, but want to monitor flow and track consumption. I've got a raspberry pi and I'm hoping developers either keep going that direction. I'm still wary of spending $65 / flow meter.

I've got the server and tablet running at the house. I plan on adding the flowmeters to the keezer at some point, I just can't drop the $64 each for flowmeter for the four taps at once so may be adding one at a time...

I'm finishing up a 2 tap setup. Ive got the server and the tablet working and communicating, but can't get the kegbot firmware to compile. Has anyone had any troubles/success with that?

I just ran my first keg of beer through my kegbot, as I got to a good testing point software wise a while back. Needless to say there are some bugs that need to be ironed out, but overall I'm pretty happy with how things are working, and I hope to get another keg in the kegerator sooner rather than later.

If one is interested in a project like this, I would suggest checking out kegbot.org and if one is feeling even more adventurous check out the project I started on github, which uses kegbot.org hardware minus the need for a server.

The project page for KegCop can be found here, https://github.com/ipatch/KegCop

I also created a simple little webpage for the KegCop app too :)

http://ipatch.github.io/KegCop/

All facebook likes are greatly appreciated :D

Which Arduino are you using?

I am using a custom sketch that I wrote for the KegCop project, which a link for it can be found on the github page. As for the board version of the Arduino I am using it is the Duemilanove

Latest posts

Back