Reusing berliner weisse yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

america

Reaction score
Just bottled up my first Berliner on Monday and was thinking of 'washing' the cake (made of homemade lacto. starter and US-04 added 4days after lacto) to use for something else. I've read that the following brews can take a lot longer to sour because you have to ferment at brewers yeast temps and the lacto. and saccharomyces have to fight for sugars. Anyway my real question was has anyone ever made a cider with this sort of blend? A slightly tart cider sounds intriguing but im not sure if that's what will come of it.

Well yeast is washed and doing its thing in the fridge. Does anyone have any cider recipes they think would work well with this? Or would doing just plain apple juice be best to start off with?

Here is the recipe for the Berliner I did, if that helps/anyone one is curious. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/alferman-imperial-berliner-weisse-255777/

7/31 - split a gallon of apple juice into two one gallon jugs and added some of the washed Berliner cake. Have them at two slightly different temps to see if that makes any difference.

Back