Fermentation Stopped (Total Newb)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dante42

Reaction score
So, I starting brewing my first wheat beer. The first 48 hours went well, as the beer bubbled correctly in the bubbler. Then it stopped bubbling. I waited until today, 6 days after I cooked it up to recheck, as someone had suggested that nothing may be wrong and to check the specific gravity.

When I started my beer was at 11.7 brix (1.047sg). This was within range of the beer recipe. Now it has been six days. The reading is 7 brix (1.028 sg). This is pretty far from the 2.56-3.57brix (1.010-1.014sg) range that the beer says I need to have.

Am I screwed? Do I need to dump it all? Can I save it? What to do!!!!

I have roused the yeast, carefully to avoid adding any extra oxygen. Should I see any signs of fermentation occurring in the bubbler over the course of the next week?

What are you using to take the reading? A hydrometer or a refracto?... Brix have to do with the sugar but after fermentation takes place they will no longer be valid with the gravity... Grab a hydrometer and measure out the SG :)

Def use a hydrometer after fermentation has begun. After the first few days,bubbling slows down or stops,showing that initial fermentation is over. But it will slowly crawl down to FG in a couple weeks. So you should be fine only 6 days in. The yeasties work in their own good time.

Back