Finely aged grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natefitz

Reaction score
I have a Belgian White kit that I bought from Austin Homebrew in February. The grain is uncrushed, but is 6 months too long for it to be sitting on my kitchen counter? The kit contains flaked wheat, white wheat malt and belgian pils. I was assuming the malt would still be good, but that the flaked wheat might be worth replacing. Any thoughts?
-Thanks

My first thought was wondering if you store your brew kits in and or on some of those fantastic RonCo kitchen appliances. It's a wonder that guy never made a beer kit.

I'd say brew it!

At this point the larvae that is on the grain may have hatched. Check the grain for weevils. It is time to replace the grain.

Forrest

Weevils = Added protein, may cause haze.
I would brew it only if I had friend drinking all my homebrew and no helping, it may change their habits.

Judging by how some of the Belgian Abbeys ferment in open casks in the cellar, the absence of weevils might be considered a fault.

Back