Help a newbie with an airlock question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachbrew1

Reaction score
Help!

Just brewed my first batch last night with a specialty shop owner. Fermenting in a 5 gallon bucket. Checked the air lock earlier today and was bubbling fine. Just came down into basement where bucket was out of sunlight and there is wort bubbling out of the airlock onto the bucket top. Tried to check seals and heard a slight hiss from corner of lid. Tried to reseal but still a slight hiss and bubbling wort out of airlock. Am I a newbie or is this a problem?

Blow off tube buddy, I always start mine with a blow off for the first 4 days then swap out with a airlock...It means theres more co2 in there than the bucket or airlock can handle...if it is going that crazy its possible ya may have to mop the ceiling........blow off tube asap

Thanks for replying but I really am really new at this. How do I make or buy a blow off tube? I will research it, but is this going to ruin my first batch? Any quick fixes?

Don't worry I thought the same thing after my first batch! There are 2 things you can do to fix it 1. Use a blow off tube instead of putting the airlock in the top put a hose a then put the otherside of the hose into a bucket of water the buckets the lhbs gives me with my extract work perfectly after a few days take it out install an airlock and clean your hose. 2. Use a 6.5 gallon bucket or carboy for your primary . I was using a 5 gallon carboy for primary and swmbo would jump down my throat when it would make a mess the beer still turned out good but made a mess when I started using a 6.5 gallon bucket with an airlock I had no more mess. Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew!!!

all you need is a hose that fits snug over the inside plastic of your air lock. You then run it into a container of water, similar to how your airlock works.

Using a Brewers Best kit. If the supplied tubing fits over the tube in the air lock, I can run that into... say my carboy, which is filled with sanitizing agent. If everything is sanitized it shouldn't be a problem right? Are there contamination concerns if I pull the entire airlock just to get the wort out of it?

Checked the tubing supplied with kit and it will not go over the output on the airlock. Making an IPA and the hop smell coming out of that airlock is making me drool. I might just put the auto siphon in the bucket and put the bottle filler in my mouth.

If can go in the airlock seal also just like a regular airlock it doesn't matter as long as it is sanitized

I use a 6.5 gal bucket, and just use my spare racking hose for blow off. It takes a little effort, but it will fit into the grommit in the top of the bucket. Then put the other end in a contaner of sanitizing solution to keep air from flowing back into the bucket.
Hefe002.jpg

Mess contained.

No problem glad to help, that was my extract Hefewizen. The red ale going now never even got to the top of the bucket, but I had the tube there just incase.
:mug:

Back