What to buy....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
For xmas I got a 200 gift card to a brew shop. I already have a couple of fermenters, plenty of cleaner/sanitizer, yeaster starter kit. What I'm missing are a wort chiller, a burner, and tools to move to AG. If you had 200 what would you buy?

Only burners they sell are Blichman...which I would like to have... but do't have the cash to spend 300+ on just burners.

Wort chiller would be my first priority. Could you swing a wort chiller and 1 burner? You can go all grain with one burner (BIAB or using a cooler set up).

Yeah I could do that. The transition to AG I figured wouldn't happen overnight.
Would you buy the Blichman burner?
I'm kicking myself as a guy that sold me his stuff a few months ago had a blichman burner but at the time I hadn't brewed anything so I didn't know what I wanted.... I am sure I coulda gotten it for 100 w the extensions and 2 propane tanks...ugh.

You are going to want a burner of some kind before too long. It is much easier to get 6+ gallons of wort up to a boil on a propane burner than on a gas stove. I don't have a Blichman burner, so I am not the person to ask whether it is worth the money versus a different kind of burner. I bought myself a turkey fryer set up for like $60 and I use that. I am planning to build myself a brewing structure before too long, so I am holding off on buying a better burner until I figure out what my structure will look like (i.e., I may build a steel structure that has burners built into it).

On the all grain front, you can do BIAB without any additional equipment; you just need a big mesh bag that would cost less than $5 at you LHBS.

If you ultimately want to go the cooler route, they are really easy to make yourself as opposed to buying them premade. I was intimidated about it at first, but was able to convert 2 coolers to a mash tun and HLT and make my own homemade sparge arm out of copper pipe over about 2 hours one Friday night. The hardest part was actually the hour or so it took me to find the parts at Home Depot (and the two other trips I had to take to find the coolers at an ACE). If you are interested, send me a PM and I can try to find the link to the YouTube I watched that gave me the confidence (and I can send you a picture of my sparge arm).

One burner and the chiller.

A second burner would be nice, but, with a little planning, an insulated mash tun, and the ability to heat relatively small volumes pretty quickly on your stove, you don't need the second burner.

Do you already have a fridge for temp control during fermentation? I'd get one myself, but my roommates wouldn't like me running up the electricity bill just to brew beer.

I don't have a fridge that I'm allowed to use as a fermentor... that was why I want to find a good cheap or free freezer.

I'm thinking the blichman burner and the chiller might be the way to go.

Share some of the beer with your roommates, and I bet they won't mind.
They're homebrewers as well, but not as serious about it as I am.

I don't have a fridge that I'm allowed to use as a fermentor... that was why I want to find a good cheap or free freezer.

I'm thinking the blichman burner and the chiller might be the way to go.

I would stick with 3 gallon boils on the stove and a partial mash method before I invest in a burner and wort chiller in order to do 5 gallon boils. I feel that getting better temp control first would initially make your beer better than going all grain. I feel like most extracts are really good and suitable for the base of a beer. Temp control is my biggest annoyance right with brewing besides bottling day. I would buy the fridge, thermometer, and build my own wort chiller.

Since you have a gift card, I would just use it to buy ingredients as you need them and then buy the equipment from wherever you can.

Wort chiller and ingredients for a couple batches. Maybe a sack of grains and a couple pounds of hops in addition to the wort choller

Back