Questions on a PICO style false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fathand

Reaction score
My brewing partners and I brew in a keggle and use a pico style false bottom with direct heat. I am unsure of how to account for the mash and sparge water that lies underneath the false bottom.

Per the instructions that came with the bottom it says...

Fill kettle until water touches false bottom (2-3 gallons) Calculate water for grains at this point. Do not worry about loss on sparge water

I measured that water to be 2.5 gallons. So after I mash and sparge am I to assume I will have 2.5 gallons of water remaining in the tun? Or do I include that 2.5 gallons of water in my sparge volume and drain the tun completely when mash and sparge are done?

Secondly it says...

It is best to use a pump to circulate your wort. This will draw the hot wort under your false bottom to the top of your mash maintaining a constant temperature.

I get this and eventually we plan to get a pump. But for now we are just stirring the mash every 15 minutes and applying heat if needed. We are also drawing off 2 -3 quarts of liquid and adding it to the top of the tun.

Does anyone see an issue with this?

Back