New Bottling Bucket! - quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corvax13

Reaction score
Hey everyone

So today marks a very special day in my (very) young brewing adventure - I just received a bottling bucket from AHS. Now, the reason this is great is because that means I no longer have to bottle with an autosiphon, and that brings my number of available primaries to 3 - can we say pipeline? :rockin: I'll be using this baby this weekend for Yuri's Pumpkin Ale.

My question is this - the bucket and the spigot come separately. In the spigot, there is a small rubber ring - should this go on the inside or outside of the bucket? Sorry if this seems trivial, but unlike many homebrewers I am very tool-and-handyman-challenged - that is soon changing though.

Thanks!

I would double check your order. Mine has two o-rings, one for the inside and one for the outside

I have two bottle buckets...one has 2 o-rings, one has just 1. Neither leaked.

Now you just need the bottling wand and about 2 inches of hose to attach it to the spigot. This is WAY better than trying to run a few feet of hose (from someone who's done it both ways).

I have two bottle buckets...one has 2 o-rings, one has just 1. Neither leaked.

Now you just need the bottling wand and about 2 inches of hose to attach it to the spigot. This is WAY better than trying to run a few feet of hose (from someone who's done it both ways).

Stop hold the presses... forget the little piece of hose to attach the bottling wand, just shove it up in the valve body..... works great.

How are you going to build a dip tube for this? I used a shortened arcrylic racking cane and a number 1 bung. When used as a primary I add the little black filter thingy to the racking cane...

Ready to keg, Attach tube to spigot other end in keg, pull airlock and open valve...

How are you going to build a dip tube for this? I used a shortened arcrylic racking cane and a number 1 bung. When used as a primary I add the little black filter thingy to the racking cane...

What do you mean by dip tube?

I talked to Forrest from AHS, he said that their new buckets only have one ring - no problems there.

I already have a bottling want and some spare tubing, so I was going to go that route.

Thanks for the replies!

I added Revvy's dip tube and it works great, with one added trick:

With the dip tube, I get a little pocket of air at top-dead-center of my spigot body. I have to rotate the spigot and bottling wand up and depress the filler valve to get the little air pocket out, then rotate it back down for bottling. Not a huge deal, but the first time I bottled with the dip tube, I kept getting bubbles. The dip tube works great, though.

I added Revvy's dip tube and it works great, with one added trick:

With the dip tube, I get a little pocket of air at top-dead-center of my spigot body. I have to rotate the spigot and bottling wand up and depress the filler valve to get the little air pocket out, then rotate it back down for bottling. Not a huge deal, but the first time I bottled with the dip tube, I kept getting bubbles. The dip tube works great, though.

Good suggestion, mind posting it in my thread?
A couple of people have had similar issues. I never had.

Oh I haven't mentioned it, but I have to make BB dip tube V.3, just like v1, version two (the one made with the melted and bent piece of racking cane) went down my disposal and was eaten.

Revvy That's cool. Very similar to what I used. I used a shortened racking cane so I took advantage of the nice bend. Nice how to thread you have... wish I would have found it before...

Just went through the thread - so the dip tube is to get that extra little bit left below the spigot?

Guess Im going to Home Depot after work...

Thanks Revvy!

I talked to Forrest from AHS, he said that their new buckets only have one ring - no problems there.

I recently ordered the spigot from NB, it did not come with an o-ring at all, but only a flat rubber washer.

I used it on the outside though ... made more sense to go there because I was tightening the nut with a wrench, didn't want the rubber washer to stretch or get gouged by the turning of the nut - since it was on the outside, it was only subjected to compressing forces, not twisting.

Seemed to work fine, no leaks and no chance of chewing up the rubber washer. The nut did actually have a groove for an o-ring, and I think I'll purchase one to fit it from Lowes/HD/Ace so that I'm covered on both ends ... but I think the flat washer should be used on the outside, at least by design.

I suppose it would probably work fine either way.

Good suggestion, mind posting it in my thread?
A couple of people have had similar issues. I never had.

Done.

I'm happy to have a chance to give back a little help. I've learned a ton from HBT. Honestly, I don't know how anybody ever learned to brew beer without the internet. Clearly, however, they figured it out, since beer pre-dates the internet by a few thousand years...

I recently ordered the spigot from NB, it did not come with an o-ring at all, but only a flat rubber washer.

I used it on the outside though ... made more sense to go there because I was tightening the nut with a wrench, didn't want the rubber washer to stretch or get gouged by the turning of the nut - since it was on the outside, it was only subjected to compressing forces, not twisting.

Seemed to work fine, no leaks and no chance of chewing up the rubber washer. The nut did actually have a groove for an o-ring, and I think I'll purchase one to fit it from Lowes/HD/Ace so that I'm covered on both ends ... but I think the flat washer should be used on the outside, at least by design.

I suppose it would probably work fine either way.

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one... I forgot how i put it on the first time i used it, but i put it on on the inside this time, filled it up with san-solution... and it's dripping a little. Glad i realized this before i went and syphoned my brew in there...

Back