Rookie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio tom

Reaction score
I have ingredients but no instructions.
Making a wheat beer,
I have 2 cans wheat malt extract 3.3 lbs each
2 1oz bags Hallertau hops
1 bottle liquid yeast

wanted to make beer similar to (franziskaner)
Instructions were shredded by new puppy.

Can anyone offer any help?

Palmer's extract brewing is a great place to start. I would guess you'd add half the hops at the start of the boil and half 45 minutes later. Other people might be more familiar with the style and can give you a better schedule.

If you can boil 6 gallons at a time, do it. Turn off the fire and add one can of the malt extract. Turn heat back on and stir constantly takeing care to avoid boil over. Once the foam has subsided, add 1 oz of the hops and start a 60 minute timer. At half of the other bag at 30 minutes. (don't use the last half of that bag) With 15 minutes remaining, add the other can of malt extract and stir it in. Watch for the foam again.

Once the 60 minutes is up, you need to cool the wort down as quickly as possible. Place the pot in a tub of ice water. Freeze a 2 liter soda bottle or two full of water and sanatize the outside then place those into your pot to help cool it down.

When it gets below 80, pour it into your primary firmenter. Use a sanatized wisk and froth the wort to incorperate oxygen into it and pour the yeast in. Your tube of yeast needs to sit at room temp while you're brewing.

Put the lid on your fermenter and wait for the magic to happen.

I need to add a few things. You'll want to ferment this at about 68 degrees. Do your best to keep it at that temp, 72 degrees won't kill you but you will develop more banana flavors in it at that temp.

You should yield approximately 5 gallons of wort. If you don't, it's a good idea to have some previously boiled water chilled to add back to get you back to 5 gallons.

This should yield you a Weizen with about 4.4 ABV. Bitterness units (IBU) will be 13, the style range is 13-15 IBU.

Back