OR/WA Brew Day v2.0??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
So it looks like I may be getting my hands on a Pinot Noir barrel. I'll need a little help getting that thing full...any interest in folks brewing up some batches and blending them in the barrel?

:mug:

Confirmed Brewers:
Kilted Brewer: 25 gallons
EvilTOJ: 15 gallons (5 gallons not yet added to barrel)
explosivebeer: 10 gallons
McKBrew: 5 gallons
blacklab: 5 gallons

Total: 50 gallons

Definately interested. What type of beer are we looking at brewing? Where, When, etc....

I would be interested. If it's a 55 gallon barrel, this may give me a good excuse to get a cooler larger than the 7.5 gallon one I have now so I can make 10 gallon batches.

I don't yet. I just got word yesterday that my connection was able to get the barrel. Still need to check it out and make sure it's usable so don't go rushing out just yet. Anyone have anything they've been eager to try?

I'd definitely be up for that. It all Depends on where I'm at with the brewery. Pinot barrel will be great. Sounds like we need at least 5-6 people to participate in order to fill that thing.

I've been considering getting a larger cooler anyways to make the 999 barleywine, and this just seals the deal fo sho. Once plans are crystalized a bit more then I'll start doing some shopping around.

I would like to attend. Sorry I have been MIA lately, work has been handing me my A$$ lately and well summers are always busy it seems.

When, where, and what do we have in mind?

I'm still waiting to get the barrel. I'm told the person has it at their house, but doesn't know how to get it to me or their work so I can go pick it up. I'll keep you posted.

In for five gallons / subscribed.

'My connection has it at some dudes house' This sounds so druggy! I love it.

I'm thinking we need to make something that will sit in there for a long time and soak up that PN vibe. So, something that needs aging, but will let the Pinot shine through.

For some reason I thinking wheat, but not sure how that will age. Anything super hoppy will mask the Pinot. Lightly hopped Pale Ale or Amber? Red?

I found a sweet whisky barrel on the local craigslist for $40 (59 gallons apparently). The previous owner said he used it for beer I told the guy that if it was still available after August 1st I might be interested (that was before I knew how big it was. Still might pick it up anyway.)

Yea Sea, that's where we had the last one. You're welcome to come on up! McKBrew and Brewtopia came to the last one and it was quite a drive for them. Fun was had by all.

If it's just a matter of needing a vehicle, I have a van we could steal... I mean load the barrel into. As long as it's not TOO far away.

I made a NW group if anyone cares to join.

Looking forward to another brew day sometime soon. I still need to do my first AG batch at sometime.

This still sounds fun. It can be hard for me to get down there, but I would enjoy the chance to meet some of my fellow HBTers.

*Subscribed to thread*

OK kids...I finally made the 1hour 15min trip out to Oregon Wine Country to pick up the Pinot Barrel. Still trying to get the full story on it, but the bung sure smelled like pinot! It has a stamp on it of 2004 so I'm assuming it's 4 years old. Trying to find out when it was used and emptied. Here are two pics:

barel001.jpg

barel002.jpg

So let's start planning while I wait for more info. I know nothing about using barrels so I rely on you all that have. I'm imagining we use this as a secondary, yes?

Barrel looks great! Yes, I would primary as usual then rack into the barrel for aging.

When I got my barrel, it had sat empty for a while so I had to re-swell it to seal. Then I knew I wasn't going to use it right away so I filled it with a solution of Sodium Metabisulphate and Citric Acid to make sure nothing undesirable began to grow in there.

Let me know when you are thinking about filling that thing. I'd love to come down if I can.

Ok guys... I see how it is. Setting up this brew day just because I don't live out there anymore. Haha just kidding, looks like if everything works out you will all have a ton of fun!

Sounds like we need to decide on either a style or recipe to brew. How long do we plan on letting the brew age? That could help determine the style as well.

I just tried a Stumptown Tart from Bridgeport last night that was tasty and aged in Pinot barrels. It's a Belgian I believe.

Here's a little more detailed description of how I cleaned a sanitized my barrel prior to use.

I rinsed thoroughly with hot water then filled the barrel to soak. It took about 48 hours before it stopped leaking altogether and I just kept topping up the barrel.

When the barrel was finally sealed, I mixed up a solution of (1) ounce of sodium metabisulphite and half (1/2) ounce of citric acid per gallon of water. Make two (2) to three (3) gallons of solution for larger barrels. Pour in the solution, close the bung, and roll the barrel about so that all interior parts of the barrel are contacted by the solution.

Rinse the barrel once more with clean water. The barrel is now ready to fill.

When I store my barrel between fillings, I keep it full of this solution to inhibit bacterial growth and to keep the barrel swelled.

Thanks Don. That's very helpful. This may be a silly question, but where does one get sodium metabisulphite and citric acid?

Thoughts on maybe doing a brown ale as the base beer? C'mon guys, looking for some input here...also looking to get some more volunteers, we're going to need 50-55 gallons or beer here!

A Flemish Brown would be good. Similar to Liefman's Goudenband. Rack it into the barrel with some sour cherries for a Kriek?

I like the brown ale concept. Should we agree on a recipe or all do our own thing?

Not sure about the Kriek idea, but I could be convinced.

Back