Can I whirlpool w/ this......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog House Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an all copper CFC off ebay. The wort line is 3/8" and saw where some people using a pump, whirlpool back into the boil kettle. After whirlpooling and cooling the batch then go to the fermenter. Will I be able to get a whirlpool with 3/8"? Other than keeping the break out of the fermenter, is there any advantage to cooling the batch and whirlpooling like this? Do most of you using a CFC go straight to the fermenter w/ the break? Thanks

You can, but...

1) if you're using whole hops, you'll want to filter the hops with a screen/bag so they don't clog the 3/8" line

2) you won't get much flow through the 3/8" line, so not much whirlpool effect. you'll want to really get the whirlpool going w/ a spoon or paddle.

The potential advantage I've seen to recirc/whirlpooling is that you get the entire wort below DMS producing temps quicker. Other than that, I don't see any.

Guess I would have been better off spending the extra cash for a chillzilla type CFC that has the larger wort line. For $119 I thought it was still a good buy. Maybe I will make one of my own.

It chills the entire volume quicker when recirculating and whirlpooling causes all the trub to gather in the center like a cone. This could be good or bad depending on the location of your diptube.

Back