i'm not getting any carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senorfartman

Reaction score
i've been using corn sugar for my last few batches and am getting nothing in terms of carbonation. like literally nothing.

last time i used 1 cup of corn sugar, previously 1/2 cup. both batches were only like 3 gallons however. i may try 1 cup of regular sugar next time as last time I used 2 cups of regular the beer nearly exploded out of the bottle.

any ideas on how much i should be using?

You should only be using about 5oz per 5 gallon batch, can you let us now how you are adding the corn sugar?

I use 3/4 cup corn sugar in 2 cups water, boiled then cooled, for a 5 gallon batch, and have no problems. Wait at least 21 days for carbonation.

well, I had this same issue with my last two batches. In Michigan we have had a very cold winter, so I agitated each bottle and made sure they were stored in at least 70 degrees. I had some success wih a few bottles, but to be honest my success has been few and far between.

Let me know how things work out for you. I would like to know ass well.:mug:

When yeast get's below it's working temperature it goes dormant. If you look at the package it always says the fermenting temperature. If you live in a cold climate you must have a draft free area to ferment and lager in that is temperature controlled for good results. If the temperature is going up and down it would eventually carbonate but it will take much longer than it should at a steady 70 F.

It seems like you're using plenty enough sugar.

It could be the temperature being too low, not waiting long enough to carbonate, or you're not getting a good seal (unlikely).

I've heard that having your beer sit on a cold floor in an otherwise 'room temperature' room can affect carbonation.

BrianP said:
I've heard that having your beer sit on a cold floor in an otherwise 'room temperature' room can affect carbonation.

That goes for fermentation and bottle conditioning alike. I learned early on to put some kind of insulator - like corrugated cardboard or a blanket - between my beer and the floor of my basement. Ambient temp might be 68* but the floor is COLD!

Use this and stir every 5 bottles. The first time I bottled, I boiled the sugar and it never carbed. Now I just dump it in the bucket dry. No probs since.

What is the typical OG of your beers?

How long are you letting the beer condition in the primary/secondary?

What temp are you letting the bottles sit to carbonate?

How long are you giving them at the above temperature before you judge the carbonation?

I have had this issue and attributed it to low temps. My basement is usually around 60 or so. I built a tent around one side of my boiler with a thermal screen used to keep the sun out of a car windshield and an old quilt. I put my bottles on a table next to the boiler, wrap them with the screen and cover the whole affair with the quilt. Agitate once at about 7 to 10 days and leave the lot there for about 14 to 21 days. I have had no issues with carbonation since adopting this method.

It was due to temperature. I did a temp reading and indeed the floor was significantly colder so I moved the brews into the kitchen. Hopefully things will get kicking before st. pattys day

If you bottle your beer:

One of the best ways to control temperature is to use a "water bath".
A plastic storage container and a fish aquarium heater. Offers the versitility to operate in both warm and cold climates. Concrete floors will remove heat during the summer and winter. Use a thermometer to dial your heater in.

Back