Lawnmower Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammer

Reaction score
So i just mashed in the following beer

6lbs pilsner
4 lbs pale
1 lbs carapils
2 lbs flaked maize

I am trying to make a very light beer to play beer pong and the like with for a bunch of BMC drinkers. Trying as light as i can with as little flavor as i can. Prolly should have gone all pils/maize for that but ohh well.

So, hop schedule. I am thinking 15 IBU at 60 min and 5 IBU at 15 min. Probably Saaz or hallertauer. Any other ideas/recommendations?

Also, What yeast should i pitch onto? I have wyeat 1010 american wheat (take it in the kolsch direction) i have wlp002 english ale. I have dry us-56 and dry s-33 yeast. Any recommendations?

Also, any opinion on grains of paradise or lemon additions? Should i just try to keep it basic? I have other more flavorful beers for an upcoming party.

Do you think that 3.5-4 week turn around if i force carb and no secondary is realistic? thanks!!

I did a similar beer...

First, I would've recommended a First Wort Hop (FWH). It adds a sort of garden-like freshness. Like nibbling some cold celery on a hot day. Very refreshing.

Second, a pound of wheat. Wheat helps with head retention and will impart a nice summery flavor and sort of a silky mouthfeel.

Just my fifth of a dime....

Anyway, here's mine.

8.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 79.2 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 9.9 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 9.9 %
0.10 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.0 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [6.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 22.4 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [6.00%] (15 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [6.00%] (5 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [6.00%] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU

4.8%ABV
30 IBU's

That's a 10-gal batch, right? (or a big-a** lawnmower beer :eek: )

I like the hop schedule. I'd use the 1010 yeast (seems the crispest of the bunch). And I'd skip the additions...let people add'em to their glass if they want.

How good it will be at 4 weeks depends on how bad your efficiency is. I'm guessing that beer will end up somewhere around 5.75% ABV. Mine finished at 4.8% and was bottle carbed and tasty after 4 weeks. But, the higher the ABV, the longer it's gonna take. Hopefully your efficiency sucks.

Either way, I'm sure it will be drinkable. (Edit to say that by "drinkable" I mean "ready to be consumed", I'm not suggesting it will be less than tasty)

I agree with using the 1010 for pretty much the same reason. Not that I have experience with the 1010. Actually, I fermented mine with American Ale yeast from Safale and was PLENTY pleased with the results.

Is there something wrong with considering a 5.5% beer lawnmower? Ohh well. makes for fun lawn mowing.

I was going to add wheat but i decided to avoid for those people that dont like wheat beers. I already have an american wheat (hence the 1010) for the party.

thanks for the advice, keep it coming!

WOW, i just check attenutation for the beer that is on my 1010 cake, it fermented down to 1.004. I will be pitching onto this cake.

that makes this beer destined to be more than 6% alcohol. So much for the lawnmower thing. at least it will be light for all the BMC drinkers.

BTW, does anyone know of a program that will calculate AA loss due to time for hops?

AHHH, i see now.

I am starting to question why anyone uses beer tool pro. I have to use a spreadsheet for most of my water volume calculations. A seperate spreadsheet for water salt additions. And now if i want to calculate AA loss i have to use promash...............

Seems like promash will just do it all huh. Stupid beer tools pro.

opps. Just checked OG. This is now a 7.25% lawnmower beer. should be interesting.

ohh well. make for some sloppy beer pong i guess.

sloppy beer pong-or some really frigged up lookin'yard scalpage(can I say that here ?)

Back