HERMS Build Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobsstory182

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the process of gathering parts for a new HERMS system. I have a 1500 watt and 2000 watt 120 volt water heater elements. I want to use these in the HLT but am having trouble figuring out which one to use. I would like to use the 2000 watt bc it would heat faster but i think that it pulls 16 amps. Ive only found 15 watt temperature controllers that are reasonably priced. Should I use the 1500 watt with a Johnson A419, which is rated at 15 amps, or is there a reasonable solution to get the 2000 watt element controlled?

FWIW...

In a large HLT with a large volume of water, pin point accuracy isnt really a concern I have found, because you have a huge thermal mass buffer in that HLT water.

Bottom line, running my HERMS on a JC A419 gives me mash temp control within .5F during the mash. Id say that is pretty good. YOU ARE limited to 1650W on the JC A419 though, but I have had no problems with it.

Also you DO NOT need a low density element for a HERMS, it is heating water... can't scorch water. You can use any HIGH WATT density element, I actually recommend that. They are shorter, so they take less HLT water to keep them submerged.

I have been over this and over this...

1500-1650W high watt density element
JC A419 controller

It is easy, cheap, effective etc. Look over my build threads, if you have any Qs let me know.

FWIW...

In a large HLT with a large volume of water, pin point accuracy isnt really a concern I have found, because you have a huge thermal mass buffer in that HLT water.

Bottom line, running my HERMS on a JC A419 gives me mash temp control within .5F during the mash. Id say that is pretty good. YOU ARE limited to 1650W on the JC A419 though, but I have had no problems with it.

Also you DO NOT need a low density element for a HERMS, it is heating water... can't scorch water. You can use any HIGH WATT density element, I actually recommend that. They are shorter, so they take less HLT water to keep them submerged.

I have been over this and over this...

1500-1650W high watt density element
JC A419 controller

It is easy, cheap, effective etc. Look over my build threads, if you have any Qs let me know.

Right you are!:drunk: I have no idea what I was thinking. I have RIMS on the brain. Mea Culpa. Listen to the Pol and TOTALLY ignore my post.

Back