Checking carbonation level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
Is there any way to make an educated guess at the carbonation level in a glass bottle without opening it?

I followed a 16th century recipe that had me bottle after 7 days in the primary. I assume this was to get carbonation in the bottle, but don't really know.

Bottled after 7 days and no priming sugar added.

The recipe says to let it ferment for 6-7 days and then bottle, and that it will be ready to drink "within three weeks". I'm tryin gto avoid bottle bombs or gushers. Looks like I'll just have to go on faith!

Actually I'm going to refridgerate a couple bottles after a week, and a couple after 2 weeks, then the rest at the three week mark.

It's too late now, but for next time I'd recommend bottling in one 16 ounce soda bottle. Simply squeeze that bottle, and when it gets hard all of the bottles are just as carbonated.

Wow Yooper, that would have been a great idea! I make soda too, why didn't I think of that?!?!?!

I have all the bottles in a sealed cooler to capture bombs if they happen.

Oh, now I see what you are doing. Another method if you have the equipment, would be to seal it in a keg and attach a spunding valve to read pressure. You could then counter pressure fill bottles it you wanted to bottle.

If you're a "bottle-only" guy then Yoopers idea is a great one.

It's too late now, but for next time I'd recommend bottling in one 16 ounce soda bottle. Simply squeeze that bottle, and when it gets hard all of the bottles are just as carbonated.

Only way to fly! I use one PET bottle to test for carbonation and one clear glass to keep tabs on clarity.

Before you put a large qty in the fridge, why not open one and check it out?

Back