CO2 line Quick Disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToastedPenguin

Reaction score
Are there any quick disconnects that can be used with the plumbing for Co2?

I would like to be able to remove the gas lines from my barbed regulator so I can move the tank with the regulator connected away from my keezer temporarily and use co2 to push beer from my sanke keg fermenters or into my corny kegs for serving etc.

I figured I could add a small length of hose to the regulator and put a swivel nut on the end and then put another swivel nut on the end that connects to my keezer as well as the setup I am using to push gas when racking my beer, however I can't find anything that I could use to join the 2 swivel nut ends.

So I am looking for something I can use as a union for the 2 swivel nuts or something else that provides a similar quick disconnect for my co2 lines.

Thanks!
David

If you're talking about the 1/4" flare nuts that go on a lot of corny QD's, you should be able to find a 1/4" MFL union at most hardware or plumbing stores. McMaster has them in brass for $2 or SS for $8.36. Part #'s 50675K261 and 50715K261.

Do air QDs come in 1/4 MFL?

Any issues with this setup and CO2? I've heard others warning against compressed AIR quick disconnects with CO2.

Are there any quick disconnects that can be used with the plumbing for Co2?

yep theyre called ball locks ;)

...oh you wanted to add a quick disconnect inline and before your quick disconnects... then yes compressed air fittings will work.

Do air QDs come in 1/4 MFL?

Any issues with this setup and CO2? I've heard others warning against compressed AIR quick disconnects with CO2.

i havnt seen any that come in flare fittings. common sizes are 1/4" and 3/8" strait thread. there shouldnt be any issues with using them for low pressure CO2. they can not be used with high pressure CO2 (+500psi), though. they are only rated for around 250psi normally. that is probably where those warnings came from.

there shouldnt be any issues with using them for low pressure CO2. they can not be used with high pressure CO2 (+500psi), though. they are only rated for around 250psi normally. that is probably where those warnings came from.

The warnings came from people like me who found out the hard way that those type of fittings are prone to developing small leaks. A tiny leak in an air hose connected to a compressor is a non-issue, but it can drain a CO2 tank in just a couple days. This is especially true if there's any chance the hose could be bent in such a way that there's even a small amount of lateral pressure on the fitting. In my case it turned out that when the lid of my keezer closed, if the gas lines weren't all perfectly organized, one or more of them could be bent just enough to push sideways on the QD, and a couple days later my C02 tank would be empty. It was very frustrating trying to track down a very intermittent leak that only occured when the lid was closed. I went through 3 20# tanks of gas the first couple months after getting my keezer set up. I now have a john guest style QD to go through the collar of my keezer, and everything else is hose barbs with double clamps. I haven't had a single leak in the year+ since I ditched the air QD's.

I think the 1/4" coupler will work, I don't mind turning a wrench to disconnect the lines. I really only want these on the out side of the gauge so I can remove the tank when I go to use it for pushing beer from my sanke keg fermenters. Pulling a hose from a barb is a pain in the ass.

Back