Sneek preview RIMS single tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lehr

Reaction score
Building a new rig for a friend.
img1831n.jpg

img1845l.jpg

img1842hw.jpg

img1844v.jpg

img1840o.jpg

img1846ak.jpg

Wow! Just Wow! That is a work of art. You're very talented lehr, I'm continually awed when I see your project photos.

What diameter are those heat shields? 12.5"

Also do you worry about the arms that you have going out into the middle taking on too much stress from a brew put with 12-15 gallons of liquid in it? Since the arms don't connect to anything but the heatshield, I didn't know if they were at risk? I assume you know this to not be an issue or you wouldn't do it.

The reason I ask is I am in the blueprint stage of a single-tier 3 burner setup. I am using SS 1.5" square tube at 16 gauge. I cannot afford thicker wall. I am trying to think of a way of mounting 8.5" SS heat shields to the underside of the top of the stand. If I could just use arms like yours going out so I could weld the heat shields to the arms.... But now I wonder if 1.5" 16 gauge tubing could handle the stress load. The alternative is using angle braces in the corners that go out far enough to have a diagonal distance of 8.5". But that's much more steel.

Sorry to go off-topic. But you seems to know your stuff and are god-like in your skills.

What diameter are those heat shields? 12.5"

Also do you worry about the arms that you have going out into the middle taking on too much stress from a brew put with 12-15 gallons of liquid in it? Since the arms don't connect to anything but the heatshield, I didn't know if they were at risk? I assume you know this to not be an issue or you wouldn't do it.

The reason I ask is I am in the blueprint stage of a single-tier 3 burner setup. I am using SS 1.5" square tube at 16 gauge. I cannot afford thicker wall. I am trying to think of a way of mounting 8.5" SS heat shields to the underside of the top of the stand. If I could just use arms like yours going out so I could weld the heat shields to the arms.... But now I wonder if 1.5" 16 gauge tubing could handle the stress load. The alternative is using angle braces in the corners that go out far enough to have a diagonal distance of 8.5". But that's much more steel.

Sorry to go off-topic. But you seems to know your stuff and are god-like in your skills.

The arms on this build are much shorter than mine and you clould jump up and down on then and not move them. The heat sheilds are the size of a hurrican burner and are 16 ga ss. The tubing is 1.5x1.5 eighth wall but I dont think you would have any problem with 16ga I welded one for schweaty on this site out of 16ga. Think about making a single or two tier I think you will be happier with one of those I like the two tier because I like to run off with gravity.

Thanks Pat

updates double pump cover,rims mount and heat shielding,burners mounted and heat shields for wiring. Things to do next gas beam control panel and mounting arm. Pat
img184811.jpg

img184921.jpg

img185031.jpg

img185251.jpg

img185361.jpg

Insanely beautiful. I decided to use arms like yours that will have my 8.5" heat shields welded to the arms.

Now do you worry about the heat shields going all the way to the top like that in regards to enough air or exhaust. I would think there may not be enough room between the top of the shields and the bottom of the kettles. But again I know nothing about combustion or anything.

Insanely beautiful. I decided to use arms like yours that will have my 8.5" heat shields welded to the arms.

Now do you worry about the heat shields going all the way to the top like that in regards to enough air or exhaust. I would think there may not be enough room between the top of the shields and the bottom of the kettles. But again I know nothing about combustion or anything.

I have not had any problems with mine and the heat sheilds but I use kegs I will test it and find out with pots on it, I could put some vents towards the rear of the shield if need be.

Thanks Pat

Wow, sooo nice. I love all your work, looks so professional. You should seriously sell these stands, I would buy one...

Thank you for the constant inspiration.
-Trent

I have not had any problems with mine and the heat sheilds but I use kegs I will test it and find out with pots on it, I could put some vents towards the rear of the shield if need be.

Thanks Pat

I would not set the pots directly on top of your stand with the way you have it configured now. I was messing with my heat/wind shield in a similar situation to yours and I had a nice "boom" happen. I have no scientific data to back this up but it looks like an similar accident waiting to happen. So be careful if you fire it up configured that way.

Lookin good :rockin:

I bet you are going to have to do vents. When i built mine i ran my heat shield all the way to the bottom of my keggle. It would only burn for like a minute before snuffing itself out. I started with vents just at the back and later added them all the way around. The tap water to boil time was about 10minutes shorter after i cut more vents.

Heat shields, my kegs vent in the back just by there own design because of the lip all the way around the edge but the brew pots won't so I'm going to put some round holes out the back side of the heat shields to vent.

Pat

You've made some serious progress since last weekend!

Ya Aaron two 9.5 hour days in a row I should have it done this weekend but I want to brew on sunday, new fermentation fridge and new blichmann conical have me hyped up to brew.

Thanks all !

Pat

Beautiful job!!! Question on the filler plates. They look like you used a break and folded the corners. What exactly is holding them in place?

Wow coming together so nicely, cant wait to see the finished product. That is a control panel to make anyone jealous! haha good job!

Where did you get those wheels an how much? Are they threaded stem or expandable rubber? 3" diameter wheels?

Where did you get those wheels an how much? Are they threaded stem or expandable rubber? 3" diameter wheels?

Caster city.com 1/2 inch threaded stem 18.00 locking 15.00 nonlocking 7.00 shipping. On my two tier I'm going to put 3/4 inch stem casters on it I think 1/2 is a little small for something this heavy if you are rolling it over uneven ground.

Pat

1st of all, that thing is sexy... no other descriptor works. It looks like the control panel is weld mounted to the frame... I'm always surprised to see this. I know wiring can be a PITA, but a swivel bracket or similar configuration that will allow the panel to be removed or placed out of the way in between brewdays is a smart move IMHO. Of course, if brewing space in not a premium , then it's not an issue, but I'm fighting for every square inch. As far as the rest of the build, Awesome job man!

1st of all, that thing is sexy... no other descriptor works. It looks like the control panel is weld mounted to the frame... I'm always surprised to see this. I know wiring can be a PITA, but a swivel bracket or similar configuration that will allow the panel to be removed or placed out of the way in between brewdays is a smart move IMHO. Of course, if brewing space in not a premium , then it's not an issue, but I'm fighting for every square inch. As far as the rest of the build, Awesome job man!

John it's not welded to the frame, it is mounted on a stainless pivot so when your not brewing you can move it right next to the pots. One nut and three quick disconnects and it comes right off just like my two tier.

Thanks Pat

John it's not welded to the frame, it is mounted on a stainless pivot so when your not brewing you can move it right next to the pots. One nut and three quick disconnects and it comes right off just like my two tier.

Thanks Pat

Cool... I couldn't see that from the pics... looks like you've planned this well. Sharp!

Back