Trub question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
I am just brewing a batch of Hop Nog India Pale Ale and I was surprised with the amount of trub in the bottom of my primary fermenter when I transferred into the secondary. This was also a my first experience with a partial grain recipe. It used 2 lbs of Briess Caramel grain (in grain bag) along with 2 cans of extract and three varieties of hops. The Wort seemed like it had a lot particles floating around in it, so I wasn't all that surprised with the amount of trub. The instructions said to let the particles and spent hops settle out and swirl the wort and it should collect in the center. Then siphon around the "pile", leaving it in the center of the pot I tried this method and it didn't work all that well. Should I have used hops bags? Would that have helped? Is there any way to strain the wort as it goes into the fermenter? I really want to start with all grain recipes and I'm wondering if I should learn a better technique of cleaning my wort before I transfer it into the fermentation.

Thanks!

Anything that made it into the primary will drop to the bottom and be left behind when you transfer to secondary. Nothing to worry about. The particles were probably just hops and some proteins from a cold break while you were chilling your wort. Some proteins actually need to get into the primary for fermentation so you're good. SOme people use a strainer and funnel (if going into a carboy) and pour the wort through that but I prefer the whirlpooling method. I usually stir it once it's cooled and let it sit, covered, for a good 15min then put my auto siphon in the corner of the pot sitting a little higher than the stuff at the bottom.

Back