Sampling Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rightwingnut

Reaction score
Earlier on the boards, there was discussion of brewing simple batches of beer each with one type of hop, to get a good taste for the flavor of each. I'm going to start this. I ordered 5 pound of light DME, a California Ale yeast, and three ounces of Saaz for the first batch. I will use the exact same malt and yeast for other batches, changing only the hops. My question is, how much hops should I add? I don't want to overdo it, just use enough to get the flavor. Thinking it over, I thought maybe three ounces is too much for 5 pounds of light malt. What do you guys think?

you got three oz total of saaz... that's one of me favorites! i'd put 1.5 oz in the initial boil, then with 20 minutes left i'd put 1oz then after the boil i'd put .5 oz

Yeah, I enjoyed some Pilsner Urquell the other day, so I think Saaz will be yummy. Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm, just thought of another idea. Should I try to get the same bitterness rating out of each batch? In other words, use a greater amount of low-IBU hops at boil, and a lesser amount of high-IBU hops? Or would it be better to use the same amount of hops for each batch, to get a better taste for the bitterness of each variety? Could go either way...I think I like the latter...

Go with your heart! I'd read up on what you're getting, and use it accordingly...

If you're going with a low alpha hop, I'd do extra in the front end (beginning of boil) so you can taste the bitterness. If you're doing a high alpha hop I'd use it VERY sparingly in the back-end (end of boil or dry-hop). I tried a brew once where I used chinook toward the end of the boil, and it was all I could taste. The malt and other hops just vanished. I really admire your experimentation with different varieties, but if you want beers you can actually drink, follow these rules.

t1master said:
you got three oz total of saaz... that's one of me favorites! i'd put 1.5 oz in the initial boil, then with 20 minutes left i'd put 1oz then after the boil i'd put .5 oz

I have 3.5 oz of saaz hops I'm using for an american wheat with 5.5 pounds of malt. Im thinking 2 oz at beggining of the boil and 1.5 for 15 min. Alpha acids were 2.6 on these, kinda low. First time using these hops though, so I don't know what to expect

I would definitely use different amounts depending on the alpha acids. Go download a copy of SUDS and make a basic Pale Ale recipe. Then brew your batches so that they all have the same IBUs, but use different hops. Then you can *really* tell the flavor difference.

One thing is, some hops are just intended for aroma/flavor and others for bittering. Saaz is really never used for bittering, and it would be kind of expensive to waste them on bittering because you'd need so much (because of the low alpha).

I'd consider choosing a standard hop for the bittering...say 1/2-3/4 oz of Columbus in a 5 gallon batch. Use the same bittering hops in all the batches and then vary the finishing hops. That way the overall biterness of the beers is identical, as is their body, alcohol, etc. The only difference is the flavoring/aroma hops. Bittering hops don't contribute much flavor anyway, so it's a shame to use something as wonderful as Saaz as a bittering hop.

BTW, we do this all the time in order to get to know a hop and really isolate its particular flavor. That's how I first fell in love with Centennial, and we just brewed one a few weeks ago with flaked barley and all Chinook called Flaky Salmon.

Have fun! Sounds like a great project. :D

I went with Galena for bittering...Hoptech's description is what inspired the decision...I wanted a clean, neutral hop, so as not to interfere much with the flavor. What do you think, 1 ounce at boil? I just want it to taste right...not excessive in any respect.

Yeah I think you're on track...not much bittering...just good balance so they don't interfere with the flavor hops. What are the alpha acids on your Galena?

Well, assuming 13%, 1 oz will put you over the IBUs for American Pale Ale. I'd go a bit less. .75 oz at 13% alpha should be in the neighborhood of 36.5 IBU, which is on the upper range of the 20-40 IBUs for APA. .5 oz puts you at 24 IBUs.

All assuming a 5 gallon batch.

I was thinking....I had planned to use only light DME for these batches. Is that going to be horrible? Should I steep some grains to make it more drinkable? If so, what are some real neutral grains....just plain stuff?

You could add some plain ole 2-row and do a mini-mash. It'll definitely taste better than straight DME.

If you want some color/sweetness, a bit of light crystal or caramel malt...like 10L or 20L.

If I were doing your experiment, I'd mash straight 2-row. Adding some real grain will taste better, so in your case, I might just substitue some 2-row for some extract. Or leave the extract the same if you can't do a mini-mash and just steep the 2-row for flavor. Also, I'd ferment with White Labs California Ale...the Sierra Nevada one. That yeast is clean as a whistle. Cheers! :D

Awesome...Cali. Ale yeast is what I have. I'll consider a mini-mash, after reading up on the process, but I'll definately use some grain. Thanks.

Back