Remove coffee smell from plastics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyf111

Reaction score
I have access to about 20 of the coffee bins you see at grocery stores (the ones that hold the bulk coffee) for free.

My questions are:
Will the coffee smell affect the grain?
If so, is there a way to remove the smell from the plastic?

These would be great to hold a couple pounds of frequently used grains, but not if it ruins my beer.

I'd just give em a good wash with some hot water and a oxyclean or bleach mix. Then let them air dry. Should do the trick. You can always keep your grains in turkey bags as well, those things work great to keep fish and stuff from stinking up the place so I imagine it works the other way around as well.

I'd just give em a good wash with some hot water and a oxyclean or bleach mix. Then let them air dry. Should do the trick. You can always keep your grains in turkey bags as well, those things work great to keep fish and stuff from stinking up the place so I imagine it works the other way around as well.

Thanks, I'll try the oxy/bleach trick and hope it works.

I really don't want to use bags as I would like to just pour it out the spout that's already on the container itself.

Try wiping them down with white vinegar and letting it air out for a day or two. Might have to repeat this to get all the coffee out.

Back