Airlock Bubbling Stopped after 2 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipi22

Reaction score
I started a Pumpkin Ale the other day. It was going strong and I could visibly see bubbles going through the airlock. But all of a sudden it stopped. I don't think it should be done though but it is the first time I tried using ale yeast. The initial hydrometer reading was 1.049 so it can't be done, can it? I'm worried because it smelled really good and I would love to be able to drink it. :) If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

It can be done...and it probably is. I often find that my ales ferment out within a few days, especially if they are very active ferments. What was the fermentation temp? The easiest way to determine if its completed is to take a gravity reading. I would let it sit for a couple more days, then rack to secondary and take a gravity reading. Relax....everything is fine.

Oh thanks. That makes me feel better. The temperature is 69 F so thats what the recipe I was following called for. The initial bubbling was pretty rapid so your probably right. I'll wait a few more days and then tranfer.

If the trub has fallen, I would rack to your secondary now without waiting a couple of days. I wouldn't worry at all if I were you. You have beer, it is possible that after only 2 days it is mostly done. Take a gravity reading if you want, otherwise just rack to your secondary and let 'er set for a couple of weeks.

what was the recipe you used for your pumpkin ale? i want to make one soon but am trying to see if i can use canned pumkin instead since the real ones are not in season yet.

I used:

1 lb. british crystal malt
6 lb light malt extract
1 lb. light dry malt
2 oz. willamette hop pellets
4 lb. fresh pumpkin
2 nutmeg
4 cloves
3 cinnimon sticks
1 teaspoon irish moss
1 pack dry ale yeast

I boiled half the pumpkin (which I baked first) with the wort. Then added the other half right into the fermenter. I just transfered it to the secondary today and added a cinnimon stick and a crushed nutmeg to it. We'll see how it comes out!

yeah- let me know how it turns out. where did you find a pumpkin?

Jill--if you happen to find a pumpkin in NJ, pls let me know. I've been itching to brew a pumpkin beer, but really don't want to wait til Sept/Oct.

most of my low end alse are done within a couple days. i wouldn't worry about it.

Back