Tomato sauce in brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

count barleywine

Reaction score
My roommate wants the real-deal pot for some nonsense he's making, can tomato sauce be concocted in my brew pot without adversely affecting my future brews or the pot itself? It is stainless steel. I'll search after I post 'cause I need to know quick. Thanks in advance brethren and sistren

I sure as hell wouldn't let something as acidic as tomato sauce in the same pot I brew my precious barley water in...Bar keeper's friend or not...I personally wouldn't risk it...Tomato sauce is acidic and, well I personally wouldn't do it...I have pots I cook in and I have pots I brew in...and I don't cross polinate them.

Send him over to the nearest Dollar General, he can get a 5 gallon stainless pot or under 10 bucks...(that's my stovepot brew pot)

Then he can make his killer sauces to his heart's content, and leave your sacred brew kettle alone. :D

I sure as hell wouldn't let something as acidic as tomato sauce in the same pot I brew my precious barley water in...Bar keeper's friend or not...I personally wouldn't risk it...Tomato sauce is acidic and, well I personally wouldn't do it...I have pots I cook in and I have pots I brew in...and I don't cross polinate them.

Tomato sauce is usually in the 4.X range of pH so I wouldn't be worried about that, but I just don't know if I could do that. Tomato sauce in my brewpot... that's crazy-talk.:cross:

i like salsa. i like it a lot. i've made 10 gallons of salsa in my brew kettle countless times, boiled on my banjo burner, cleaned it out, and brewed in it the same night. zero issues. i've also made a batch of salsa extra thick, and thinned it out with my "death by dunkel" and had some yummy alcoholic salsa.

I dont think it would hurt your pot with proper cleaning. However, I guess it's the principle of the situation. Brewpot does not make sause. :D

i like salsa. i like it a lot. i've made 10 gallons of salsa in my brew kettle countless times, boiled on my banjo burner, cleaned it out, and brewed in it the same night. zero issues. i've also made a batch of salsa extra thick, and thinned it out with my "death by dunkel" and had some yummy alcoholic salsa.

TEN gallons of salsa countless times...Damn that is an impressive stat to keep on your bio. I also love salsa, but not sure what I would do w/ ten gallons? I'm a bit jealous of your salsa consumption.

TEN gallons of salsa countless times...Damn that is an impressive stat to keep on your bio. I also love salsa, but not sure what I would do w/ ten gallons? I'm a bit jealous of your salsa consumption.

we eat a lot of salsa, lol. plus i used to can it alot, and give it away to friends and family. now a days, i just make a few gallons at a time, and keep it in the fridge, and eat on it for a week, then make more the next week. we make home made tortillia chips every week too. buy one of those 100 packs of the little round corn tortillias, chop them i half, spray some butter on them, and cummin, and salt, put them on a baking sheet and throw em in the oven.

i'm pretty sure when i die, and they give me an autopsy, they'll find out that contrary to popular human belief, i'm in fact 80% beer and salsa instead of water, lol.

:off:

You cook salsa?????????:confused:

Real salsa is fresh

Back on topic

If your brewpot is Stainless you are good to go, if aluminum the pH of tomatoes is dangerously close to leaching the aluminum into the sauce(not good) IIRC

Your pot will be fine as long as it gets cleaned really well. I have cooked all sorts of stuff in mine with no change in the beer that comes out of it. I am the only one that cooks in it though as I don't trust other peoples cleaning to get it clean enough for my beer.

:off: Cooked salsa is better salsa then fresh. It pulls out the flavors in everything that is in it. Fresh salsa has its place but can't compare to how good cooked salsa can be.

Someone needs to head over to the cooking and pairing section fo the forum and start a "cooking salsa" thread complete with recipes...

Heck, you all can start a cooking vs uncooking salsa thread for all I care, just als long as recipes are invloved...I lurrrvvvvveeeee me some good salsa...even bad salsa okay in my book!!!

Get over there...start threading...NOW!!!

:D

Someone needs to head over to the cooking and pairing section fo the forum and start a "cooking salsa" thread complete with recipes...

Heck, you all can start a cooking vs uncooking salsa thread for all I care, just als long as recipes are invloved...I lurrrvvvvveeeee me some good salsa...even bad salsa okay in my book!!!

Get over there...start threading...NOW!!!

:D

OK be there in a minute

I'm not seeing an issue. Tomatoes are acidic; they will even clean the pot of anything that didn't come off before, depending on with what and how you clean it after brewing.

To passivate SS in an industrial manner, it is treated with acid.

Stainless can be passivated naturally with time and the oxygen in the air.

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB-1.html

Palmer:

"Stainless steel is stainless because of the protective chromium oxides on the surface. If those oxides are removed by scouring, or by reaction with bleach, then the iron in the steel is exposed and can be rusted. Stainless steel is also vulnerable to contamination by plain carbon steel, the kind found in tools, food cans, and steel wool. This non-stainless steel tends to rub off on the surface (due to iron-to-iron affinity), and readily rusts. Once rust has breached the chromium oxides, the iron in the stainless steel can also rust. Fixing this condition calls for re-passivation.

Passivating stainless steel is typically accomplished in industry by dipping the part in a bath of nitric acid. Nitric acid dissolves any free iron or other contaminants from the surface, which cleans the metal, and it re-oxidizes the chromium; all in about 20 minutes. But you don't need a nitric acid bath to passivate. The key is to clean the stainless steel to bare metal. Once the metal is clean, the oxygen in the atmosphere will reform the protective chromium oxides instantly. The steel will nearly as passivated as if it was dipped in acid. Nitric acid passivation creates a more chromium-rich passive surface, but is not necessary for brewing use.

To passivate stainless steel at home without using a nitric acid bath, you need to clean the surface of all dirt, oils and oxides. The best way to do this is to use an oxalic acid based kitchen cleanser like those mentioned above, and a non-metallic green or white scrubby pad. Don't use steel wool, or any metal pad, even stainless steel, because this will actually promote rust. Scour the surface thoroughly and then rinse and dry it with a towel. Once you have cleaned it to bare metal it will re-passivate itself."

I'd do a tomato recipe before I would fry in my vessel...

Just make him give it the PBW, UBW, or Barkeeper's cleaning.... and something for the brewing fund.

Back