Hop Growing In Central Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffPhD2005

Reaction score
I have seen a few posts here concerning hop growing here in the Austin area but they are from folks that are in their first year of growth and I have seen one post asking how well do hops grow here but there wasn't any replies posted.
So I will ask are there any "veteran" hop growers out there in central Texas that have successfully cultivated hops for more than a year? If there are can you speak up and tell us any difficulties you have had to overcome and varieties that have done well here, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Brew On!

Jeff

Cascade seems to be the winner in Austin. My centennial are looking like little bushes, but none have produced a climber yet from last year.

Thanks Ed,
I have planted a few Cascades this year and so far they are growing well but we haven't really hit the high heat of summer yet. I grew hops for more than 5 years in South Carolina and they did well in the higher temps and humidity so I am anxiously waiting to see how they will do in a more "typical" Texan summer.

Jeff

I am in Austin (Cedar Park) and My centennial is really taking off.
My cascades are growing by a little behind the Cent.

I only planted 4 just my first year... but I have noticed the heat is really getting them going now.

T

Thanks Terry,
I'd like to keep a running on how everyone's hop plants fair over the summer. I figure if we can get through the first summer then they will have a chance of surviving and producing the hops we crave in year two.

I am in Pflugerville as well. I planted Cascade, Mt. Hood and Nugget. Out of the three the Mt Hood is doing the best, the nugget seems to be doing the worst. I am no veteran, all 3 are 1st year, but I figured I would throw in my 2 cents.

Cool, 3 straight posts by HBT members from Pflugerville...

Pflugerville Rocks!!!

Mine are 1st year, I'm no veteran hop grower, but the 8 I planted seem healthy so far.

I'm curious how y'all fared through the summer? I am planning on planting my first Rizomes this coming summer and wanted to get an idea of what to expect. Granted, I am in the DFW Area... but I figured it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to compare the weather for the spring.

Ditto! I'm already doing my planning. I've got clay for soil, so I'm planning on doing planters, but after seeing the "Dirty Jobs" episode, I'm going to have to think through this. It seems we can count on a handful of days of those lovely straight-line winds, not to mention the baking heat, so I'm wondering how best to plan ahead.

Another DFW future hop grower here...
What are you planning to plant?
Where are you getting you Hop Rhizomes?

What's the hardiness and heat resistant for hop? DFW is hot for sure..
I probably have to install water timer to make sure my hop bed is nice and moist.

:rockin:

I had mine (1st year hops) in full sun over this summer & they didn't seem to like it. Also, I planted mine directly in our soil. I think the combo of a very hot summer, 1st year plants, and texas soil lead to a dismal year for my hops.

They started off great for about a month or two, then when the summer heatwave started they stopped right about 4 ft high & just stalled there. They didn't die, but they stopped growing & the leaves did not look healthy.

I plan to dig up the rhizomes & replant them on the morning sun side of my house in planters with imported soil before next spring.

I have 7 different varieties.

Another DFW future hop grower here...
What are you planning to plant?
Where are you getting you Hop Rhizomes?

What's the hardiness and heat resistant for hop? DFW is hot for sure..
I probably have to install water timer to make sure my hop bed is nice and moist.
:rockin:

I am no hop expert, but I had a good first year growing hops a couple of hours south of you. I tried Cascade, Centinnial, and Nugget. Cascade and Cent were in raised beds with no bottom, allowing access to rocky, alkaline base soil. Nugget was potted in a 30 gallon pot with a well-drained topsoil and manure mix.

Centinnial sprouted and grew strongly first, and I thought Cascade was a dead rhizome, nugget grew slowly.
Cascade ended up with at least 15 strong 20' vines producing nearly 2 lbs from a constant pluck harvest.
Cent put out maybe an ounce, and I am just happy nugget didnt die.
All 3 were from freshops.

Are you all growing in raised beds?

Yes, I have a raise bed to put the rhizomes. I think I'll setup a low trellis, ~6-7', and go across about 10-15' by using 4+ hop twines to train the hops. Will this work too? it seems to be easier to harvest.

I live in a neighborhood with Home Owners Asso. It has been tough to get anything too tall in my house/backyard. supposedly, it reduce the beauty of my house.

I do have some land that only gets morning sun (shaded by house in the afternoon).

Based on some of you guys feedbacks, I'll look into cascade and centennial for sure. I want to try Mt Hood too, but I don't know it will like our hot Texas summer.

I want to try saaz (my favorite) next year. Check out edwort's sticky thread on "texas hop garden" I love those teepee contraptions. My conduit was only 15', but the vines grew over and back down another 5'

cones.jpg

Hi there - I am in central Austin (off of South 1st). I just ordered some rhizomes and am going to give it a shot. Based on EdWort's experience (and others), I ordered Cascade and Centennial. I also ordered Galena because Hops Direct said those do well in high temperature regions. Anyone have any luck with these?

What is the consensus? Morning or evening sun? I bought 2 of each. I am wondering if I should try 2 different locations.

Take care,
Kate

I bought 2 cascade and 2 chinooks from Rise Sun Farms

They came in excellent condition with multiple shoots... I planted them 2 weeks ago.
Now the plant is about 3 inches tall. The chinooks are in my raise bed with covered bottom that will climb my 8 ft fence. Cascades are on the ground with composts that will climb up my 15 ft bamboo garden. We'll see who output the most in this hot texas weather.

kgahan:

I too live in Austin and am thinking about starting next Spring. How did they turn out? Any recommendations?

Where do you get your rizomes? I'm thinking about putting some on the East side of the house where hopefully it won't get so hot.

Back