Lost some extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DArsenault

Reaction score
Hi, I just received a extract kit in the mail and it included a 1lb bag of DME. It looks like the bad ripped open in shipment and some of the DME spilled. I weighed the bag and it was still at 1.1 pounds with the bag. So id guess at most I lost a few grams. Would it still be okay to use? The kit also came with 9lb of LME. Would there be any contamination issues? I'll be boiling the DME for the full 60 minutes.

If it were mine, I wouldn't worry about it one bit. It'll be just fine.

Yeah, I think your fine. Kinda lousy shipping, though. I'd still complain to the vendor so they know the shipper potentially cost them a customer. Of course it could have been a problem on their end too...

Either way, they might want to make sure your happy to keep your business.

Don't think it should be an issue if you use it.

I just had the same thing happen with a kit from nb with a bag of specialty grain. It wasn't a shipment issue it looks like it was just packed carelessly because it was a box in two boxes. I contacted customer service and they were so quick to make it right they got a customer for life.

Would there be any contamination issues?

Only in the sense if it had gotten mixed with dirt, rat poison, motor oil, or other weird things. You can probably pick out any contaminates such as packing peanuts, cardboard etc. and any of those likely contaminates are probably harmless.

In terms of *sanitation* and microbes and bacteria and general "nasties" the answer is: none whatsoever.

The boil sanitizes (and sterilizes) everything. Before boil-- sanitize nothing and worry about nothing. After boil-- sanitize everything and worry about everything.

woozy said:
Only in the sense if it had gotten mixed with dirt, rat poison, motor oil, or other weird things. You can probably pick out any contaminates such as packing peanuts, cardboard etc. and any of those likely contaminates are probably harmless.

Exactly!

Alright thanks for the input. I brewed tonight so we shall see how it turns out. They actually just packed the bag loose in a box with some other stuff including a metal spoon, which I'm guessing is what punctured the bag.

Back