What to brew with WLP 540 Abby Ale IV Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jukas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I was walking through whole foods today and found a single lone vial of WLP 540 Platinum Abby Ale IV Yeast.

Being that it's a seasonal yeast, and I had six bucks in my pocket I snagged it. Of course I have no idea what styles to use this yeast for as I primarily brew APA, IPA and stout/porters.

So any suggestions for a style of beer to brew? I plan to do 5-10 slants when I'm ready to make a starter so I have a bank to pull from in the future if I like it.

Belgian Dark Strong Ale--This is the Rochefort yeast, and they only do dark strongs. Even tripels I've brewed with it had a bit of a dark belgian flavor.

It's available year-round as Wyeast 1762, which Wyeast describes it as "An excellent yeast strain for use in Belgian dark strong ales. This strain has a relatively “clean profile” which allows a rich malt and distinctive ethanol character to shine. Delicate dried fruit esters can be produced when used at higher fermentation temperatures or in a high gravity wort." You could use it in any Belgian ale as well as stouts, wee heavies, browns... I got some dried fruit when I used 1762 in a caramel-free amber/brown sort of thing, but it was otherwise very smooth and clean, although I fermented it on the cool side.

I'm doing a Belgian Dark Strong with this yeast now. I used 2 vials giving each a 2L starter with a decant/step-up to 2L again....it took off like crazy. My OG was 1.107 and this yeast is ripping through it...I probably blew off almost a gallon based on my fermentor markings. I started at 67F and am slowly increasing to 72F by 1/3 fermentation remaining. I used the recipe from Jamil's BCS book (all grain).

EDIT: I picked my yeast up at Whole Foods - Coddingtown

EDIT: I picked my yeast up at Whole Foods - Coddingtown

Yup, that's where I got mine as well. I don't know if the other whole foods in the county have homebrewer sections or not, but having that one is great in a pinch when TBP is closed.

Also if you like to buy bulk grain, their 50lbs bags are sub $1/lb which is nice as group buys up here seem rare.

Back