Cider smells horrible AFTER fermentation is complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R34P3RCM

Reaction score
Did up a small 1gallon batch of apple cider using Santa Cruz Organic Apple Juice. I used Lalvin V1116 yeast. Fermentation was fast (only a few days before bubbles stopped) and when I went to bottle it, the stench was amazing...ly horrible.the potential before fermentation was 7% and after was 0%. What did i do wrong?

Nothing wrong, it just needs left on the yeast to get rid of the sulfur compounds commonly known as 'rhino farts'. As with any brewing; don't get in a hurry. Let things take their natural course.

I got this in mead, in fact on my last batch.

I was really worried about possible infection, but it was crystal clear with absolutely no weird growths.

As above, turned out to be sulphur compounds. Yeast will help break them down.

Yup. Throwing in my own $.02 but my cider fermented with WLP 775 threw off some serious sulphur that was present after 3 weeks (and SG of 1.000). I decided to put 2 gallons of it into gallon jugs and let it sit for another month. I bottled up the rest (of what started as 3 gallons) in some 500 ml fliptops (with apple juice concentrate for carbonation) and I refuse to taste until the week of Thanksgiving.

I've learned that cider takes time :)

The only reason I bottled any of it was because a dear friend of mine (who is hosting a grand Thanksgiving dinner I'll be attending) is a sucker for dry English cider - so I promised her at least a couple bottles. I told her that if it's still sulphery she'll have to wait until Christmas to drink it. :)

Back