1st pour.....what ya think? what do i think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentt03

Reaction score
Well the beer has been carbonating since Saturday, and I just had to try it. Got a few mixed feelings. This is supposed to be a two hearted clone. Carbonation isn't there, aroma is good and I can taste the centennial hops, but the bitterness isn't thereand it taste a little flat (watered down). Its prob that way because we added water rather than sparging more.

Anyways figured I would post a pic and get some feedback.

2011-01-05_17-48-15_757.jpg

Are you force carbing or bottle conditioning? If force carbing, ramp the CO2 up and shake up the keg for a bit. If bottle conditioning, wait another couple weeks to crack the next one open. Bitterness would have to have been taken care of during the boil. The best you can do at this point is dry hopping in a keg if you are using it to maybe add some floral aroma, but it isn't going to up your bitterness much.

When I first started out, I thought my first batch tasted watery at first too. Let it sit a few more weeks and see how much better it gets.

3 days in the bottle ? Carbination and conditioning is about 3 weeks in the bottle minimum. At least thats what I do.

It should carbonate more and more to a certain extent. I'd wait a week at least. A few days isn't really enough, but a week is much better. How much and how long did you boil the hops?

Disregard your thoughts on the beer right now. It's not ready just yet! Give it a month before you start to judge. I think that's when the pale ales are the best.

Sounds normal to me. Have you tried a three-day-packaged beer before? It will taste sort of airy because it's flat, which comes off as watery. I can almost taste it based on your description. I think it will turn out awesome. The CO2 will increase bitterness and mouthfeel, taking care of the two things you're unhappy with. Also, if you dry hopped, that will really blossom in a week or two, in my experience.

Now I'm looking forward to pouring some of my IIPA that I've been miraculously patient with since putting it in the fridge under gas on the 26th. Friday is the day. :cheers:

Yeah I figured it needed time. I still have 20 more bottles conditioning right now. Just popped a couple open to see how it was going. Aroma seems to be there but bitterness is off. I boiled the hops (centennial) at 60/45/30/15 and dry hopped for 7 days.

I think the hardest part about home brewing is patience!!! :p

you will be very surprised how different it tastes in 2 more weeks and chilled properly for 24-48 hrs before opening.

Latest posts

Back