Arrogant Bastard clone ready for bottling after long/slow fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLW

Reaction score
I posted my concern with this beer a few weeks back what seemed to be a really slow fermemntation duration.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/n...imary-still-bubbling-once-every-5-sec-225477/

It took three weeks for it to hit terminal gravity. Recipe called for FG of 1.020 it finally hit 1.018 last week sometime. The other interesting observation was that the krausen never dropped and it was still gassing off at a steady pace the day I transfered.

I transfered this beer to secondary for dry hopping last Sunday (1/30) and moved it to colder room. Drank the sample and it tasted fine. This beer has been fermenting for four weeks.

I think it would be ok to bottle this beer this weekend but I'm also willing to wait another week if needed. I don't think it needs any more conditioning and I don't think bottle bombs would be a concern since the teminal gravity was lower than what the recipe called for.

This was a good lesson in patience. Batch 2 on brew day behaved differently than batch 1, hit terminal gravity quicker and the krausen dropped when expected. Same ingredients, same brew methods. I wish I could have don this type of science experiement in high school!

I would just check the gravity today and again in 3 days, if it's the same, bottle away!

Latest posts

Back