Blackberry help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanawaggin

Reaction score
So my wife wants a blackberry beer...
I made a blueberry wheat ale a couple years ago that I thought SUCKED but everyone else really liked.
Currently, I have a Brewer's Best American Cream Ale kit in primary. I used Wyeast 2035(the yeast that came with the kit was bad, dead) and I had 2 good days of airlock activity. I am wondering if I should transfer it to my secondary and add the blackberry puree that I boiled down the other day.
Is it too soon(I'll check the SG soon to see how far along it is)? I don't want the fermentation to scrub the blackberry flavor... as happened recently with a blueberry wheat ale that is only worth pouring down the drain. Would it be worth adding honey to sweeten up the blackberry tartness?
Is my thinking wrong?

Thanks!!!

Make sure you use fresh fruit, preferably frozen and thawed over boiled (reduce pectin haze). Secondary with the fruit, and possibly tertiary if necessary.A longer conditioning time is helpful with allowing the fruit flavors to really come into their own.

It's too early to rack, wait until the primary fermentation is almost done.

Honey will ferment out, so it's useless for back-sweetening. Lactose or an artificial sweetener are your only choices. Blackberry does need some sweetness to be noticeable. 1% residual sugar is working well in my wine.

I might note that blackberry does very well in porters, browns and sweet stouts.

I got a nasal burning whiff of CO2 or alcohol when I opened the primary to rack it off into my secondary(and onto the blackberry puree I made). I didn't smell too wonderful at all. Now that it has been on the blackberries for a week or so it looks and smells "pert darn good". I think a sweetener will be needed though. My last blackberry beer was kinda bitter(but not hoppy).
Any sweetener suggestions for 5 gallons? Sweet'n Low was suggested to me.
Acid complex?

I was going to make a blackberry brown ale. I have some extract, but I was also going to use some frozen also. DO you think it would make it too bitter or too strong?

This is what I did and worked awesome. Very simple. Bought a plain Bavarian Wheat extract. Let it in the primary for a week, transferred to secondary and put in two packages of frozen berries from Walmart. Let it sit for about a week and bottled. Turned out with just a hint of berry not too overwhelming. I am not a berry beer person but even I drink it. Taste has not diminished over time either. (although my beers don't make it much past a couple months)

I am currently drinking the same beer...brewers best American cream ale, but instead of using real fruit (wich I had wanted to) I used a blackberry flavor extract added just before bottling. I brewed this batch for the same reason (gf wanted a tasty beer) but it really really turned out well, I will definatly be making this again. I considered putting some blackberries in the secondary to try and flavor it that way, but in the end just used about 3\4 bottle of the blackberry extract.

Back