Dry Hopping a Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gxm

Reaction score
10 days after kegging, I get no hop aroma from dry hopping.

I made the Robust Porter recipe from Jamil's "Brewing Classic Styles", and since I love hop aroma, I added 1/2 ounce of Hallertau when I kegged the brew with 3 ounces of corn sugar (Using sugar helps keep me out of the beer while it conditions :). That said, I do like to sample in process beers to get a feel for what is happening, and I had some concerns about getting "grassy" flavors from old dry hops. So when I sampled it today, I was surprised to find little to no hop aroma.
I did not use marbles in my dry hop bag, so it may be floating on top of the beer. Should I add more hops with marbles? Or something else?

Thanks!

Hmm...I wouldn't expect a strain like hallertau to give you all that much hop aroma in a malty beer like a porter. But yes, keeping that bag weighed down may impart a bit more aroma.

What type of hop would you recommend?

I must admit that I currently have a hard time differentiating hops. I can taste the difference in strength, but most of them smell the same to me.

What type of hop would you recommend?

I must admit that I currently have a hard time differentiating hops. I can taste the difference in strength, but most of them smell the same to me.

For a Porter I'd do Fuggles or E K Goldings.

Or just MORE Hallertau. only 1/2 an ounce is not very much, especially since Hallertau is a mild hop. I'd use an ounce.

Otherwise, as he said, Fuggles or EKG's are always teh superfine in porter. Mmm mmm good.

Back