How will this recipe taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiversC174

Reaction score
WOO HOO, finished my third brew and I have it fermenting its (their?) little heart out in my closet. I just had some stuff lying around from my first two brews and decided to boil it up and see how it came out, as my next beer will be the Vanilla Weizen from homebrew heaven. Just wanted to see if anyone could postulate offhand what this beer will taste like. OK, so here are the ingredients/procedure:

Coopers Real Ale Hopped LME (3.75 lbs.)
Muntons Amber DME (3 lbs.)
Light DME/Corn Sugar Mixr (2 lbs.)
Amarillo Hop Pellets (1 oz.)
Wyeast American Ale II

Boiled all the ME and the Amarillo pellets for ~45 mins but my boil was cut short. In a strikingly ironic coincidence, I took my eyes off the boil for 2 seconds to watch my favorite part of the "Soup Nazi" Seinfeld episode only to hear that lovely sizzling sound that can come only from wort caramelizing on one's burner. Didnt end up losing too much from the boil over but i decided to quit the boil and go right to pouring the wort and topping up the fermenter. Water wasnt as cold as I thought and I pitched the yeast at ~75*F.

OG was about 1.060

Just checked it (about 24 hours later) and I'm working with about 40 bubbles/min in the airlock and 2" of krausen, so all signs pointing towards success. Just wondering if anyone knows what the brew will taste like. I was definitely thinking it will be fairly stiff (5.8 - 6%) yet fairly sweet as I was not able to boil the amarillo pellets for the full hour. I did the rough claculations and I should end up with a FG of about 1.015. Shouldnt be a problem though, I dont mind beers that are a bit on the sweet/malty side. Anyway thats what I was thinking, just wanted to know what you guys think it will taste like, had some stuff lying around and decided to experiment. I will rack to secondary hopefully next wed or thurs. Cant wait. Thanks! :D

That could be an interesting beer. I'm just not sure about the DME/corn sugar mix. Hopefully there isn't too much corn sugar in it or else you might get some cidery flavor.
All in all, I'd drink a pint! :tank:

RiversC174 said:
Amarillo a.a.u. was 9

wow i guessed right!

how bitter is the hopped extract? does it say? what type of beer would it make?
if you used 3.75 lbs. id guess thats about half what you would use for a normal beer,(7.5 lbs lme=1.054 og) so id say 30 ibu's divided by half will be 15 ibu's plus the 20-24 ibus you got from the amirrillo would be around about 35-40 ibu's (at least!)

That cooper's kit isn't hugely bitter, but it's got a hoppy character, for sure. Made to code, that real ale goes down in a hurry. I think Rivers has a big evil ass-kicker on his hands.

Seems like it will be good, but what will be missing is hop flavor and aroma.

You might consider making a quick hop tea and adding it at secondary, and also dry hopping. Ideally, you would have added some hops at 15 and/or 5 minutes before the end of the boil for flavor and aroma--my suggestions are to compensate for that.

would dry hopping in the secondary help his cause?

Back