No Brainer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishingprogonehomebrewer

Reaction score
I went to get my (5 lb) CO2 tank filled, really exchanged, but asked what they would charge me to upgrade to a 10 lb tank. They said "nothing just the price of the gas". I had already paid for the 5 lb so I said next time. The only thing is they don't have the aluminum (10 lb) tanks just steel. Is this a no brainer? What's the drawback of steel other then room and weight?
I'm pretty sure I have the room. I put 4 tapers on a frig in my garage. The 4 ball lock fit fine and I have my CO 2 tank in the center of the kegs with room to spare. I'm not sure why I'm over thinking this....what would you do?

Price of a 5 lb = $20
Price of a 10 lb = $32

Cheers

My LHBS wants $24 for a 5 lb exchange. I know of another place that fills for $17 but I would make that up the diffrance in gas to get there. Anyone know of a place in the NWBurbs of Chicago thats cheaper?

My LHBS wants $24 for a 5 lb exchange. I know of another place that fills for $17 but I would make that up the diffrance in gas to get there. Anyone know of a place in the NWBurbs of Chicago thats cheaper?

Wow...a couple disributors around me go anywhere from 7 to 10 for a 5lber, 20 seems high.

Gas fills are expensive around here, but to me it seems like a nobrainer to upgrade to the bigger space if you have the space. I don't ever lift the tank but to refill it, so weight really doesn't concern me, but that being said I have a 5lb aluminum tank.

Is this a no brainer?
What's the drawback of steel other then room and weight?
I'm pretty sure I have the room.
what would you do?
Cheers

yes, a no-brainer
drawbacks? like you said, room and weight
i'd go for the swap.
go for the bigger tank. most of us would have to pay $50-75 extra for the tank swap PLUS the gas. you should be able to find a cheaper price for a refill, but i think i'd go for a bigger tank first

yikes. I pay $17 for 20lbs. If you do the swap, you'll pay less per pound, so that seems like a no brainer to me.

if you're looking for another option I'm also in Illinois(southwest burbs). I use AirGas to refill my tanks 5 lb tanks are about $18, never inquired about going to 10 lb though.

only differences are weight and the non aluminum ones can rust a little in a humid kegerator and leave a rust ring wherever it sits. No functional difference.

These threads make me sad and angry. The closest fill place for me is $23 5# 40something 15#. Its time to drive 45 minutes to try the one out a little further and try for a cheaper fill. Swaps dont save much round here either. oh well. Bigger tanks are not a bad thing at all especially if it costs less per lb. Just make sure you swap before the hydro comes up for expiration. I wouldnt sweat the exchange of type though.

Back