brewing with real brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
Next Wednesday I'm having a local brewery's Brewmaster and his assistant Brewmaster over. They loved my IPA and want to handout and make more. Pictures will be posted.

If they like your beer, they obviously think of you as a real brewer too. :) Speaking as someone who has worked in the industry in many capacities (packaging, brewer, consultant, etc), I can honestly say that most pro brewers have respect for home brewers. It's about the passion for beer, not the size of the kettle.

They were impressed with my system too. They were very impressed that I even have a pump. I'll be honest, it feels great to get their approval.

Awesome, brew on dude! Obviously you don't brew solely to seek their approval, but incidentally earning it is quite an accomplishment!

...It's about the passion for beer, not the size of the kettle.

This is great.

Yeah, I'm used to hearing that I have too much brewing junk around the apartment, so anything other than that is great.

Misplaced_Canuck said:
I have to say this: If a pro brewer were to shun an amateur/homebrewer, he'd be doing himself a dis-service wouldn't he :)

I have a number of friends that are professional brewers, they always have great tips for homebrewers and love to hear stories.

MC

Yeah, he's already given me some good hints.

barrooze said:
Care to share the recipe?

The other local brew pub business owners and their brewmaster were having a meeting at my buddies brewery. They liked my beer too. They had the same question. Lol.

The other local brew pub business owners and their brewmaster were having a meeting at my buddies brewery. They liked my beer too. They had the same question. Lol.

Ahh. Well, don't worry about it. I've got plenty that are awesome.

Chuginator said:
Caution, don't let it go to your head.

I know I don't know much about brewing. It'll just be a lotnicer to brew and learn from guys who do know what their up to.

SC_Ryan said:
No pictures. Ban.

Well, he had a family medical emergency, so we will reschedule. It'll probably be in two weeks or so since I had to send my Charger pump in to get rebuilt. It's never put out more than 4 ft of head pressure since I've had it, so they're going to fix it. Sorry, ill post some pics when we do brew though. I promise.

Well, me and the Brewmaster assistant got around to brewing finally...lol that was the worst I've ever brewed. It was windy and cold. We couldn't get the beer to go over 198 in 10 minutes. We went inside, grabbed the hops, weighed them out, and came out to my first boil over EVER. #@!%*! What a sad mess.

ForumRunner_20120229_171440.jpg

By the way, 8 oz of hops is a pain.

Argh! Keep your chin up - hopefully you'll have another chance. I'm sure he understood.

8oz. hops?! Holy *@#$!

Chuginator said:
Argh! Keep your chin up - hopefully you'll have another chance. I'm sure he understood.

8oz. hops?! Holy *@#$!

Yeah, he knows stuff happens. Sucks to do it with pros though...pride hurt lol. It just sucked because it was about 10 of the volume that boiled over, and after that I had trouble with my boil off rate being way high like a gallon an hour, so needless to say we are gona redo the recipe after we drink it to see how it REALLY. Was supposed to taste lol. At least the sort tasted good, so it'll probably be ok.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention also that most of those were late additions, so while it is 70 ibu we want lots of hop aroma.

Maltose said:
Fermcap is your friend!

I have never seen so much hot break in my kettle in my life as this brew! (before the boil over even) I may need to try that next time.

Maltose said:
I use 200ml on a 50 BBL batch so it doesn't take much

Wow, so I'd probably only need about 1.33 ml for a ten gallon boil. Strong stuff! Does it have any side affects I need to look out for? Problems fermenting etc?

Back