Getting bored with 1056/001 any ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelay

Reaction score
I love pale ales and IPA's. I make starters and re-pitch washed yeast. What are you all using for these styles besides 1056/001. Is there a yeast I should try? Thanks

I've used 002 on a couple IPA's. They turned out great...gives it a hint of sweet fruity character. I ferment with this one on the low end at about 64 to keep the esters to a minimum when doing the IPA's.

I've had good luck with German Ale yeast. It's very clean. I think the Chico strains do a little better with higher temps and temp fluctuations, though. I would definitely recommend temp control with the German Ale yeast.

I've had good luck with German Ale yeast. It's very clean. I think the Chico strains do a little better with higher temps and temp fluctuations, though. I would definitely recommend temp control with the German Ale yeast.

Gotta agree... I made several really nice blondes/pale ales/IPAs, along with a Koelsch with WLP029 last winter. But it needs to be in the low 60s. (I tried to make a second Koelsch this spring before I had temp control and a sudden warm spell that put it into the low 70s gave it a very clove-heavy flavor.) Real clean, but slow to flocculate.

Another idea... follow the trend and play with IPAs with Belgian yeast...

follow the trend and play with IPAs with Belgian yeast...

WLP530 wtih some Wheat in the recipe and cool ferment temps. Leaves a tingle of Belgian taste which I like. If I ferment it warm it leaves all the Belgian character and makes me sad.

I like the Belgian yeasts a lot. Kept me brewing even in my 80-degree house all summer. (I have lousy insulation, but it's a rental. I'm not paying to fix it.)

I've done a few IPAs recently with Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale...adds a bit more richness. Just enjoyed a Juniper Rye IPA with that yeast...very nice.

i just made one with 007. not sure how the beer will turn out yet, but the starter was pretty cool with the high flocculation rate

If you want to stay in the clean american ale's and not venture into the English and Belgian strains. I can recommend wy 1450 Denny's favorite 50 ( bru-tek 50) and wy 1272 which is anchor liberty yeast.

They both will leave a little extra body, sweetness and malt taste.

I have never had good luck with 1007 I probably ferment to warm.

+1 for the 007 from White Labs. According to the fellas at the BN, it is the house strain used by Stone Brewing. I've made 4 batches of a Arrogant Bastard clone and I tell you, 007 seems dead on.

I was thinking 002 myself. I guess Firestone Walker uses this yeast. I like the idea of the 1332 also. Thanks for the ideas.

I am making an ipa Sunday using wlp007. We will see how it turns out. I mainly was interested and decided to use it because Surly uses it in Furious.

If you want to stay in the clean american ale's and not venture into the English and Belgian strains. I can recommend wy 1450 Denny's favorite 50 ( bru-tek 50) and wy 1272 which is anchor liberty yeast.

They both will leave a little extra body, sweetness and malt taste.

I have never had good luck with 1007 I probably ferment to warm.

Second this. I've never used Denny's Favorite 50 but have tasted a number of beers brewed with it and they've all been good. I just used 1272 in my last IPA and it was great. I currently have an IIPA 2 weeks into primary on the washed yeast from that batch.

Try wlp011 - euro ale. One of my favorite clean yeasts. The wyeast versions is 1338 I think.

Back