temporary first year set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer#19

Reaction score
I'll try and keep this short, I just moved from western ny to Virginia. I had to leave behind 2 year golding and mt hood hops, though my buddy should be digging them up soon.

Question is, I just got cascade and Columbus rhizomes, but I'm currently at a rental while I transition to a permanent house. So given the first year is more about growing the hop base, how should I go about temporarily planting the rhizomes?

My thought is to get a pair of the big low profile tin or wooden cask like planters you can find at lowes/home depot and plant them in there. Further questions are first and foremost, is that enough space? Beyond that, what type if water supply, retaining etc do I need to set up? Should I drill holes in the bottom to allow excess draining? In the sides at set point to prevent over saturation? Obviously it will need regular watering versus in the ground to prevent drying out so I'll likely be setting up a water trickle system.

Any thoughts and input are much appreciated

I think it sounds like u got a good idea. run with it. There are a ton of hops in container threads here. mabye reference a few just to be sure ur on the right track.

I was at HD last weekend and they have whiskey barrel planters for sale about $35 a piece. I was thinking they would make a great pot for hop planting. My LHBS used to have a hop plant growing out of one in the front of their store, it looked pretty happy.

I've been thinking about the same thing. Just got 2 cascade rhizomes earlier this week and they're sitting in my fridge waiting to be planted. If you go with something the size of those whiskey barrels, would it be best to put two rhizomes in 1 barrel or would you want them separated to have more space?

I wouldn't put more than 1 in a barrel. Especially wouldn't want more than one variety in the barrel - you'd quickly lose track of which was which. I've read that different plants of same variety should be about 3ft apart, different varieties 6 ft apart.

One per barrel bucket or whatever. There is no way you'll know what's what if you put two in one container. I bet first years would be fine in a homer bucket. I have three four year plant that are barely comfortable n fifty gallon storage containers. Don't forget about drainage!

Back