Weissbier German Weissbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safeale T-58
Yeast Starter
Rehydrate
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5# Wheat Extract
1 1/2 # Extra Pale Extract
1/4 # 60L Crystal Malt
1 T. Spoon Irish Moss

Steep grain for 20 Minutes at 148 degrees, then add enough water to bring to a 3 gallon and extract syrup.

Hop Schedule:
3/4 Oz Mt. Hood 60 Minutes
Rehydrate Irish Moss and add to last 15 minutes
1/4 Oz Mt. Hood 5 Minutes

I rehydrate the Yeast and pitch as normal.

When going to secondary, Add 3 cups of Watermelon Juice.

I made this beer, but left the watermelon juice out. It turned out good, not a perfect wheat, but only my 3rd batch. I'd like to make a hopped up wheat, like the Brooklyner - Schneider. Any ideas?

If you're trying to make a German-style Hefe Weizen you need a German HW yeast and hops, but only for bittering. You don't need Irish Moss either.

If you're trying to make an American wheat beer then there's nothing wrong with your recipe. ;)

And if you're trying to make 21A's Watermelon Wheat then there's certainly nothing wrong with your recipe...

Where do you get watermelon juice? You cant really juice a watermelon yourself, can you?

Where do you get watermelon juice? You cant really juice a watermelon yourself, can you?

Sure you can....
Scoop the guts out of a watermelon and put it in the blender.

This recipe was a bad experiment...and a bad post.

It's not German, It's barely a weissbier, and the house kicked up to the mid 80's for a week during ferment...you can imagine what the beer tastes like after that.

My disclaimer is that this could be very good...but keep the ferment temps DOWN and maybe use a cleaner more neutral yeast....like Nottingham.

Sure you can....
Scoop the guts out of a watermelon and put it in the blender.

This recipe was a bad experiment...and a bad post.

It's not German, It's barely a weissbier, and the house kicked up to the mid 80's for a week during ferment...you can imagine what the beer tastes like after that.

My disclaimer is that this could be very good...but keep the ferment temps DOWN and maybe use a cleaner more neutral yeast....like Nottingham.

But some people actually LIKE watermellon bubblegum. :D

That's what the high temp gave you, right? Watermelon Bubblegum flavored beer?

This may be worth stashing some away to see what the yeasties do to clean it...noone has ever mentioned that stan's anus tasted like watermellon hubba bubba soaked in beer...so who knows. :mug:

Latest posts

Back