Sabco users?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
Does anyone brew with a Sabco keg ? How do you like it ? I am thinking about buying a setup from them and want to see if anyone has any negatives about thier products. If you have never heard of them check out the site, very cool looking brewing kegs!:rockin:

I've got a 13.2 gallon Lowenbrau keg made in the same fashion as the Sabco 15.5 gallon kegs. I love it. It's a great kettle, easy to use.

Are you thinking of getting a basic kettle with ball valve and temp guage, or one of their fancier models?

I am still looking at each model, but a little confused as to why the need for a sparge only kettle? I think I can get away with sparging in the mash kettle. I sure like the look of their brew magic setup. Think this is the kettle I am leaning towards. I am trying to give the wife the hint for an early Christmas. Don't think it's working.

I use a Sabco boil kettle and it is awesome.

My input only, but a thermometer on a brew kettle is pointless, IMHO.

I'd recommend a hopstopper and a sightglass. You can get both from vendor TNlandsailor on this site. Makes life SO easy.

Yep, mash and sparge in a cooler unless you have a fance schmancy HERMS/RIMS.

The most common AG setup involves a hot liquor tank (hot water), a mash tun / lautering tun, and a boil kettlle. Take a look at the beer sculptures on this forum in the gallery and at More Beer or SABCO and you'll see that this arrangement is very common. The gravity-fed systems typically have the various kettles in a tree configuration with the HLT at the top, the the MLT, then the boil kettle. The systems that use a pump typically have all three kegs or kettles at the same height on a stand, with the pump replacing gravity for movement of water and wort. There are as many variations as there are ingenious people who figure out what will work for them.

You need a minimum of two vessels. A hot liquor tank to supply clean hot water for mashing and lautering, and a mash tun / lauter tun. If you do a single batch mash infusion, that's all you need. You can heat the water in the HLT, drain it into your MLT, wait an hour or an hour and a half, then drain back into your HLT, which now becomes your boil kettle.

To do fly sparging or multiple batch sparging, you really need three vessels. This is because you'll have to have something to drain off the mash in, then you still need hot water coming from your HLT to sparge with, whether fly or batch.

The good thing is that you can get away with one boil kettle and two ice coolers. Many people use two 5 or 10 gallon cylindrical water coolers, Igloo Ice Cubes, or other rectangular 48 quart or larger ice chests.

I did an all grain brew last weekend using my 13.2 gallon Lowenbrau kettle for both the HLT and the boil kettle, and two 48 quart Igloo Ice Cube coolers. I had the modified keg on top of a propane burner from a turkey fryer that was sitting on top of a sturdy table. I heated the water to 169 in there, then drained it by gravity through a clear vinyl hose connected to the ball valve into the first 48 quart Ice Cube that I set up as a mash tun. I'd replaced the standard spigot in the Ice Cube with a Kewler Kit weldless fitting that has 1/2 inch NPT threaded connections on either side. On the outside, I fitted a ball vavle, and on the inside a barb fitting to connect to the manifold I made for slowly draining the wort. When it was time, I drained the wort into another Ice Cube at the rate of about a quart a minute. I then batch sparged with another few gallons of water and drained again to get all the sugars out that I could.

So now my wort was in the second Ice Cube. I poured it into my kettle, topped up with the more water to make 6.5 gallons, and proceeded with my 90 minute boil.

I could not have managed that with only two vessels. Happily, the two Igloo Ice Cubes were very cheap.

Having said all that, I do think a SABCO or similar keg is the best way to go for the boil kettle. You can do 10 gallon batches in it. It is extremely durable, easy to clean, and easy to use. To do batch sparging you don't really need the false bottom or the interior siphon that connects to it, because you are just going to use it for HLT and boil kettle, while you use an ice chest with a manifold for the mash.

I plan to get two more kegs eventually so I can have a complete system using kegs, but that will be a long time from now.

Caution: I'm quite new at all this. If the wiser and more experienced brewers on this forum contradict me, you should go with their advice. I would.

Well, I think Dude said what I said, but with a tremendous economy of words. Bravo, Dude! :mug:

The tri-clover quick connects are awesome. I've got a couple of keggles from SABCO and couldn't be happier. The tri-clovers add such a nice touch. You'll love your new or reconditioned keggle.

Nothing like a timely reply, eh? I just stumbled across this post today so this is probably pointless now, but I have a Sabco, bought in 2007, and it is a nice rig. One thing about the kegs it uses as kettles is they are a little more trouble to clean out than straight walled pots. On the plus side they're fairly thick walled and durable as all getout. Some of the larger traditional pots would handle 15 gallon batches with ease, but the Sabco kegs are better restricted to 10 gallon batches. So there you have it, a couple of things to consider...along with the cool looks a keg will add to your brewery.

Back