wine bottling and degassing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutab81

Reaction score
I am working hard to degas for close to a week with stirring mix stir drill, vacuum with hand pump. Everytime I check with the puff of air test the wine kit recommends, seems like there is still gas in there.

Am I going to make bottle bombs if I bottle in 2 weeks? How much is enough??

How much air escape are we talking about? I think you generally get a little pressure build up from just shaking up a liquid in the car boy.

Dicky

Well, no airlock activity at all. Small bubbles come out Everytime I attach a hand pump vacuum and create a vacuum

I agree, however I hit below the specified final gravity a few days in a row so fermentation had completed

It's my first batch of wine and I'm just concerned that I'm not able to. Get every last ounce of gas out of my wine before I bottle. I'm pumping every day and some bubbles come up when I create a vacuum

You might be pulling the excess SO2 out of suspension. It is bound to the wine to prevent oxidation. Did you treat with campden recently?

Best test is to taste the wine and see if it has the sharp bite of a carbonated beverage or the smooth taste of a flat beverage. You will be able to tell, but don't confuse a "young" wine taste with a carbonic acid taste.

Honestly tasted beautiful like a young wine. No carbonated mouth feel at all.

Should I stop abusing the wine with the so2 vacuum pull?

Take a sample of the wine and put it in a small glass. Cover it with your hand, and shake the wine. Uncover it and see how it is. If it's bubbly or gassy, keep degassing. If it's not, you're done.

One tip is to get the wine as warm as possible before degassing. Colder wine really "holds" onto co2, and I have a heck of a time degassing in the winter.

You will have forearms like popeye using a hand vacuum pump.

I picked up a medical aspirator pump from the local medical supply shop for a couple bottles of beer and wine. The guy put all new hoses, and collection tank on it, and a new filter. Every now and then I drop off another bottle or to to the guy, just in case I need something down the road.

The med supply places throw them out when they come back off of lease.

I was afraid of bottle bombs if I didn't get every last bubble of gas untapped

It isn't the trapped gas that causes bottle bombs. That is caused by bottling an unfinished wine that re-ferments in the bottle. The build-up of CO2 can cause the bottle to break or the cork to come out. If your wines SG is below .996 or so, it is done.

You will have forearms like popeye using a hand vacuum pump.

I picked up a medical aspirator pump from the local medical supply shop for a couple bottles of beer and wine. The guy put all new hoses, and collection tank on it, and a new filter. Every now and then I drop off another bottle or to to the guy, just in case I need something down the road.

The med supply places throw them out when they come back off of lease.
What do you use for a pressure source?

Back