Source for tart cherries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverseApacheMaster

Reaction score
Yep, looking to make a cherry lambic, but I know tart/sour cherries aren't stocked at the store. Are there any common options I may be able to find at a generic grocery store or somewhere like Central Market or Whole Foods? I'd be willing to accept frozen, juice, pie fillings, etc. as long as it won't negatively affect fermentation.

I found sour cherries at a Martin's, which is a health-focused food store like Whole Foods. I would imaging Whole Foods would have them. Look in those clear bins with the scoops.

Most frozen cherries are montmorency. If you want them fresh you need to order them seasonally and it won't be cheap.

Juice concentrate is another option, try brownwood acres.

I use the montmorency cherry concentrate, It's called nature blessed here in minnesota. but a quick google brings up the brownwood acres, brand. looks to be the same stuff. I make lambics and belgians with them all the time. It's the only way to go.

They're seasonal, as I understand. Pretty hard to come by, although I did see them going for $7.00/lb. here in the Boston area earlier this summer.

I have seen them sold in jars around the Thanksgiving / Christmas timeframe. Perhaps you might have some luck with finding them in that form.

Or go with cherry concentrate, as the poster above suggested.

HEB will have it. I saw it last night there on the baking row. They also had frozen ones if I remember right.

Back