1.5" Sanitary Tri clamp Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluePants

Reaction score
So, Im working on a 1.5 Barrel system with SS drums, have been putting together the nanobrewery for a while and Im starting to figure out how to automate the thing. Ive got the heating figured out, will probably be running with the BCS from ECC (thats not what this thread is about) to control it, but Im stuck on valves. I picked up a good deal of SS triclamps for the brewery, 1.5 inch going to the pump and 1" or .5" going out of the pump. Im running out the bottom with an elbow and have purchased 4 1.5" Butterfly valves to go with it.

It was then that I started thinking about automating the liquid transfer portion of this whole thing and I need valves that I can use the BCS to actuate. I know that all the work is there on the BCS, but Im not sure what 1.5" sanitary triclamp valves I can use to work with it. I got a good price on the butterflys and am sure that I could sell them to make my money back (or I could return them.

Anyone got any suggestions? I had originally thought that alfa lavel made an actuator that you could tie in, but Im kinda learning that I need to buy a valve with an actuator already put in as its related to the mechanics of the valve itself.

Thanks
Mike
Blue Pants Brewery

I have seen tri clover solenoid valves out there on the surplus market but alot of them are air actuated and even at surplus they are big dollars. You would be better off buying regular solenoid valves and fitting them with tri clover adapters from a financial perspective but if you don't want the threads it will cost you some scratch.

Dont I lose the sanitary aspect of the fittings if I have to have a threaded to triclamp adapter? Maybe thats a misunderstanding on my part.

Dont I lose the sanitary aspect of the fittings if I have to have a threaded to triclamp adapter? Maybe thats a misunderstanding on my part.

Good question. I am using tri clovers on my brewery but for a different reason. They make it easy to take it apart for cleaning. I have threaded tri clover adapters but unless you need some sort of FDA thing, for us homebrewers, I am sure it doesn't make a difference as long as everything is clean.

I am just throwing this out there as it is my current -- untested -- plan: I am going to use 3/4" Tri-clamp ball valves actuated by a $16 12vdc windshield wiper motor.

With position feedback provided by a simple potentiometer. Net cost is like ~$20 + cost of valve, compared to $100's + valve with an off the shelf actuator.

Back