neoprene kettle insulation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevkev5

Reaction score
I know a lot of people use reflectix but what about neoprene? -Kevin

I wouldn't put my faith in answers.com

The only semi legit temperature range I could find was an o-ring material guide that put the temperature range from -35F to 250F.

That being said the recommended temperature for reflectix is -60F to 180F.

haha i agree, but posting answers.com was easier than posting chemyq.com and getting into decomposition temps etc. i will have to try an experiment with a beer koozie and really small pot or soup can or something. i doubt "neoprene koozies" are made from legit neoprene but it is worth a try.

Hell I say give it a try, whats the worst thing that can happen the koozies catches on fire. Just do it away from anything you don't want to lose. you could probably use a few layers of tin foil under a beer can with said koozie on the bbq and try and bring it to a boil.

For electric rigs, neoprene jackets are an EXCELLENT option (improved durability and temperature stability compared to Reflectix).

For electric rigs, neoprene jackets are an EXCELLENT option (improved durability and temperature stability compared to Reflectix).

This I can agree with.

but neoprene on a kettle sitting over an open flame...the heat licking up the sides is a LOT warmer than the 212F boil going on. Pretty confident you'd be looking at 400F.

I know it melted the coating right off my ball valve handle, in addition to all the paint on the burner.

Back