Bad batch of beer causes death - Milwaukee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Long story about the original Bernie Brewer.

My QUESTION is - how can a bad batch cause death.

the story is that in 1970 Milt Mason (69) said he would sit in a chalet on top of Milwaukee Brewers Stadium until the Brewers had a game with 40,000 figuring it would take 1 or 2 weeks.

40 days later the Brew Crew hit 40,000.

He slid down rope causing massive rope burns on hands and legs and then dropped the last 15 feet breaking a dozen bones.

The Milwaukee Brewers gave him a life time supply of beer.

In 1973 he died from a bad batch.

WHAT would cause this. I've looked for news stories on this but find nothing about the death.

wikipedia said:
After a long recovery, Mason died on June 12, 1973 from poisoning caused by a tainted batch of beer, but not before being recognized as the original Bernie Brewer.

Poison in a tainted batch, not simply a "bad batch."

Although I had a skunked 4-pack of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout once. I thought it might kill me, but I managed to survive.

Lemme see if I got this straight...

He wins a LIFETIME supply of beer, and then mysteriously has a very short LIFETIME???

Conspiracy if you ask me. :)

Poison in a tainted batch[/QUOTE

I think that classifies as a bad batch.

but who/what - was it on purpose?? People here this and think a tainted(bad) batch of Home Brew can kill them.

Since google basically turned up the same info one each site, almost verbatum, we're talking repeated urban legend...More than likely it never happened...He more than likely died of liver failure/ALCOHOL POISONING from drinking a lifetime supply of beer in one sitting.....:D

It's kinda like the hops and dogs thing...every warning is cut and pasted from ONE source...no one has bothered to re-write the damn thing...more than likely it's just a colorful urban legend, with little basis in fact (the part about how he died I mean)....

It could have been something on the can that got him sick. We put our lips right on the can that we have no idea where it has been. A big rat could have peed on it yesterday at the warehouse. That can't be healthy.

At that age any small amount of kritters could overpower the immune system and kill him when most might just think they have gas.

Yea - I have been googeling for a week and find the exact same words over and over.

I can not think of ANYTHING that would kill someone or even make them sick especially from Milwaukee which is big on beer.

liver failure/ALCOHOL POISONING seems to be the reason.

If it were during prohibition I would say some counterfit "beer" was passed on to him, but according to your initial post It was in the 70's that this had happened...if there was deadly batches of beer on the market there would have been massive recalls...in other words there would have been info outside of the legend to corroborate this story....we're talking my lifetime here....I remember the tylenol scare, I remember the PCB scare in the 70's where mass quantities of animals were killed to keep it out of the food chain....There was no "bad batch of deadly beer" scare that I remember....

Which means more than likely either he was murdered via poisoned beer...or Like I said...Liver failure...

It's funny how things like urban legends get repeated over and over without anyone thinking logically...I mean...1970 was NOT a period in antiquity...It's in many of our lifetimes...

Yea - I have been googeling for a week and find the exact same words over and over.

I can not think of ANYTHING that would kill someone or even make them sick especially from Milwaukee which is big on beer.

liver failure/ALCOHOL POISONING seems to be the reason.
Dad got a sixer of Corona a few years ago while I was visiting and drank 2 while we were sitting around the table one night.Next morning he was sick as a dog.I opened one and smelled it--bad skunked.I drain poured and it stunk up the whole house and dad missed out on all the family reunion food that day(reason I was visiting)It really made him sick.:(

Yep, just one of many urban legends published in refereed journals.

Mali : gnant hyperthermia-like reaction secondary to ingestion of hops in five dogs.

Still stalking every post I write snookums??? I thoought I told you I wasn't into guys....

If you look at the info people often cite with dogs and hops..(which there's many threads on here debating ) you will see that they are usuallyciting the same case or bulletin over and over...I'm not the only one who has noticed that....Most of the "warnings online" are just a cut and paste of ONE piece of info...NOT EVEN BOTHERING TO RE-WRITE IT. The same 3rd party story over and over.

I'm not saying the hops thing is or isn't fake or a panic, I don't know..BUT there are many people on here who think the fear is overrated..GO DEBATE THEM!!!!

I'm just saying often than what one accepts as "canon" is often just the same retreaded story over and over...with no or little variation.

Like the "Myspace rapist" legend or other meme viruses, the stuff just keeps getting re-hashed and rehased over and over. I did an exhaustive debunking and deconstruction of the myspace rapist meme virus on myspace years ago...it actually got some play for awhile...

Still stalking every post I write snookums??? I thoought I told you I wasn't into guys....

If you look at the info people often cite with dogs and hops..(which there's many threads on here debating ) you will see that they are usuallyciting the same case or bulletin over and over...I'm not the only one who has noticed that....Most of the "warnings online" are just a cut and paste of ONE piece of info...NOT EVEN BOTHERING TO RE-WRITE IT. The same 3rd party story over and over.

I'm not saying the hops thing is or isn't fake or a panic, I don't know..BUT there are many people on here who think the fear is overrated..GO DEBATE THEM!!!!

I'm just saying often than what one accepts as "canon" is often just the same retreaded story over and over...with no or little variation.

Like the "Myspace rapist" legend or other meme viruses, the stuff just keeps getting re-hashed and rehased over and over. I did an exhaustive debunking and deconstruction of the myspace rapist meme virus on myspace years ago...it actually got some play for awhile...

I agree that this is not well collaborated and needs more evidence. As for the "bad batch of beer" killing someone, this I also highly doubt.

Yea - I've been trying for a week to see SOMETHING SOMEWHERE to collaborat this "death" but find nothing.

The rest is true as I remember it (big Brewer fan - BTW - Milwaukee sells Micro brews at their games - it's awesome).

I was always the sober guy at games - HATE macro swill - not I'm the drunk LOL

If it were during prohibition I would say some counterfit "beer" was passed on to him, but according to your initial post It was in the 70's that this had happened...if there was deadly batches of beer on the market there would have been massive recalls...in other words there would have been info outside of the legend to corroborate this story....we're talking my lifetime here....I remember the tylenol scare, I remember the PCB scare in the 70's where mass quantities of animals were killed to keep it out of the food chain....There was no "bad batch of deadly beer" scare that I remember....

Which means more than likely either he was murdered via poisoned beer...or Like I said...Liver failure...

It's funny how things like urban legends get repeated over and over without anyone thinking logically...I mean...1970 was NOT a period in antiquity...It's in many of our lifetimes...

Yep, just one of many urban legends published in refereed journals.

Mali : gnant hyperthermia-like reaction secondary to ingestion of hops in five dogs.

Oh the humanity!!! Why the heck isn't this a sticky that beer can kill you!!!! I for one, am swearing off this dangerous stuff immediately.

Seriously. If the "Danger to Dogs" myth is a sticky then shouldn't we also be protecting our people instead of just their pets.

Back